Vista Banter

-   Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/performance-maintainance-windows-vista/)
-   -   computer freeze (http://www.vistabanter.com/21591-computer-freeze.html)

justenuff February 11th 07 05:45 AM

computer freeze

So, my computer w/ Vista (came loaded) has froze up 13 times in the past
three days that I have had it. I'm not using it for games, just several,
regular applications. When it freezes, I can't ctrl+alt+del to get the
taskbar. The mouse also freezes, so I can't get to the taskbar to activate
task manager either. I think I ran across something that concerns a Windows
auto repair problems when programs have issues. Can I override this? Does
anyone know about this or have had a similar program?

Malke February 11th 07 01:48 PM

computer freeze

justenuff wrote:
So, my computer w/ Vista (came loaded) has froze up 13 times in the past
three days that I have had it. I'm not using it for games, just several,
regular applications. When it freezes, I can't ctrl+alt+del to get the
taskbar. The mouse also freezes, so I can't get to the taskbar to activate
task manager either. I think I ran across something that concerns a Windows
auto repair problems when programs have issues. Can I override this? Does
anyone know about this or have had a similar program?

I would do a couple of things:

1. You didn't mention any program names. I would go to the program
mftrs.' websites and make sure the programs you are using are
Vista-compatible. Check for patches, workarounds, known issues.

2. If these are common programs that should be Vista-compatible, you can
Google the Vista newsgroups from Google Groups Advanced Search and see
if anyone else is having a problem. You can also post here with the
names and versions of the programs.

3. If you can determine that the programs are probably not the issue,
then contact your computer mftr. because locking up like you describe is
often caused by flaky RAM or other hardware issues. Any hardware
problems will be covered under your warranty and you should not wait to
have the OEM address this. Generally if hardware is going to fail it
will do so very soon when new or go forever. So even though your
computer is new, that is no guarantee that the hardware isn't bad.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

md March 15th 07 01:55 AM

computer freeze

same thing happening here since loading vista. dell is working with me on
the problem but no solution yet.

Aaron April 5th 07 01:00 AM

computer freeze

Anyone had any luck solving this problem?

I also have the exact same issue - built the computer myself with parts from
Newegg.

The freeze is, seemingly, completely random. No obvious pattern to when it
happens. I've gone two or three days with nothing, and then had three over
the course of three hours.

I have a hard time buying that it's bad hardware. It isn't impossible, but
it strikes me as unlikely.

MickyB June 21st 08 10:36 PM

computer freeze

Same. I got a brand new computer and it freezes about 90% of the time even
when I have nothing open at all.

Richard G. Harper June 22nd 08 09:58 AM

computer freeze

Then return it for warranty repair or replacement. That's almost surely not
a Vista problem if the unit is brand new.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

MickyB June 24th 08 01:08 AM

computer freeze

Found the problem on mine. It was vista. I simply did a freash install of
vista and unchecked the box about installing updates. It was one of the
update things that was causing it.

ScribblingJan January 26th 09 06:22 PM

computer freeze

Same thing is happening to me (and hundreds/thousands of others if you google
and each with different machines... only commonality is Vista) on all 3 of my
new Vista PCs... 2 laptops and a desktop (Sony Vaio, Acer, etc).

All machines are different, only run MS products yet still the OS keeps
freezing as described by all these Vista users.

When are MS going to admit there's a problem and fix it?

Jan

jim jc November 25th 10 06:44 AM

computer freeze

strongly suggest you to have a try at tuneup360. i've been using it for several months, and my computer never get freezed since then~.

"md" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:23 PM tater93 wrote:

"justenuff" wrote:

On Monday, January 26, 2009 1:22 PM ScribblingJa wrote:

Same thing is happening to me (and hundreds/thousands of others if you google
and each with different machines... only commonality is Vista) on all 3 of my
new Vista PCs... 2 laptops and a desktop (Sony Vaio, Acer, etc).

All machines are different, only run MS products yet still the OS keeps
freezing as described by all these Vista users.

When are MS going to admit there's a problem and fix it?

Jan

"Malke" wrote:

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Using DataList to List Category/Subcategory with expand - collapse facility via javascript
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...avascript.aspx