Readyboost

Old February 12th 07, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

Default Readyboost

I have a 1gig USB stick SanDisk Cruzer setup as Readyboost. I am running
Vista Business. When ever I enable readyboost I am losing memory. I start
off with 750 Megs or so of used space, enable readyboost and I jump to 850
Megs of used space.
Old February 12th 07, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"Jason" wrote

I have a 1gig USB stick SanDisk Cruzer setup as Readyboost. I am running
Vista Business. When ever I enable readyboost I am losing memory. I
start
off with 750 Megs or so of used space, enable readyboost and I jump to 850
Megs of used space.

What do you mean you're loosing memory? Are you referring to Physical
Memory used from the Performance tab in Task Manager? If so you want the
system to use as much memory as possible. Near the bottom left under
physical memory you want the number under Free to be as close to 0 as
possible.

If you are referring to something else then clarify it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old February 13th 07, 01:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

"Rock" wrote:

"Jason" wrote

I have a 1gig USB stick SanDisk Cruzer setup as Readyboost. I am running
Vista Business. When ever I enable readyboost I am losing memory. I
start
off with 750 Megs or so of used space, enable readyboost and I jump to 850
Megs of used space.

What do you mean you're loosing memory? Are you referring to Physical
Memory used from the Performance tab in Task Manager? If so you want the
system to use as much memory as possible. Near the bottom left under
physical memory you want the number under Free to be as close to 0 as
possible.

If you are referring to something else then clarify it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

When readyboost is off the graph (performance tab, Memory) showing memory in
use shows 877 and then when it is enabled it shows 929 MB in use. Free is
showing 7MB, Why do I only want 7MB free? I was under the impression with
readyboost it would free up memory thus taken my 877MB in use and dropping it
to 6XX in use? Please help me to understand?

Thanks
Old February 13th 07, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Jason;
Windows tends to use all available memory.
When needed, the memory is immediately released for use.
Depending on how much memory you have determines the performance boost you
get.
The closer you are to 2 GB to start, the less Ready Boost seems to help.
Memory not in use is wasted memory.
Do you see any performance increase?
Look beyond just the numbers which as you see can be deceptive.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old February 13th 07, 02:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

"Jason" wrote in message
When readyboost is off the graph (performance tab, Memory) showing memory
in
use shows 877 and then when it is enabled it shows 929 MB in use. Free is
showing 7MB, Why do I only want 7MB free? I was under the impression with
readyboost it would free up memory thus taken my 877MB in use and dropping
it
to 6XX in use? Please help me to understand?

Thanks

I have 2.5 Gigs of memory so maybe I should not see any performance increase?
Old February 13th 07, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

No, you wouldn't see much, if any, boost with that much RAM installed.
Unless you have a lot of applications open or are running a RAM hungry app.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Old February 13th 07, 07:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"Jason" wrote

"Rock" wrote:

"Jason" wrote

[...]

Free RAM is wasted RAM. Vista's memory management is much improved over
XP's. Through prefetch it will load programs in cache based on your usage
patterns so they are ready if needed. If a different app is started, memory
is released for it's use. So the lower the amount of free RAM showing the
better off you are.

It is a common misconception, as well, in XP that maximizing free RAM was
helpful. That myth was the basis for some companies selling snake oil
remedies purporting to speed up the system by freeing up RAM.

I haven't checked on my system the difference in memory usage when Ready
Boost is on or off. I have 1GB of PC800 RAM and Ready Boost does help some
what.

Here is a couple of good articles with info on the impact of Ready Boost and
Prefetch.

http://tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/analys...a_ready_boost/

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2917
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old December 1st 08, 11:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bughaters

Let me understand something here. Task Manager under Physical Memory
(MB), I have 41 free MB's. What is that telling me.

--
bughaters
Old December 1st 08, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walt Thatcher

bughaters wrote:

Let me understand something here. Task Manager under Physical Memory
(MB), I have 41 free MB's. What is that telling me.

That Windows is doing its job: it's using as much of your memory as it
can.

Don't be concerned with that figu Windows will release memory to
programs as needed.