Can't get CD/DVD drive to work in Vista

Old February 13th 07, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dot

Default Can't get CD/DVD drive to work in Vista

For months the DVD burner in my system was working fine, but in the last
few days it stopped working. Vista detects it and loaded the device
drivers, but it does not initialize the hardware properly. (I always
get error "code 37".) Note that the system does detect that the DVD
drive is there, and the driver does get the model number from the drive.
Just to make sure there wasn't an issue with the hardware, I tried
swapping the DVD drive with a new one, but I get the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Old February 13th 07, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Price

Try the steps in this KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

Old February 13th 07, 06:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dot

I did not install any CD/DVD recording software. (I was just using the
CD/DVD burning that comes with Vista.)

I did try to follow the steps in that article, but the reg keys
mentioned are not in my registry.

Note, I have tried going into the device manager, uninstalling the
CD/DVD device, and reinstalling (scan hardare), but I get the same
problem ever time.

Any other suggestions?

Old February 13th 07, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bp

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:13:02 -0500, "Michael Price"
wrote:

I had similar problems until I uninstalled Daemon Tools I would think
other virtual drives may also cause problems

Old February 13th 07, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dot

I don't have any virtual drives installed. I have 6 SCSI hard drives, a
ZIP drive, and a card reader, that's it.

No DVD burning software installed. (just using the built in stuff that
comes with Vista)

No system tools software installed.

I have tried to think of anything I installed that could have any impact
on a CD/DVD drive, but there isn't anything installed but some basic
applications (Office, some media players, etc) and utils (brosers, IM
software, stuff like that).

Old February 14th 07, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dot

(dot) com" wrote:

I don't have any virtual drives installed. I have 6 SCSI hard drives, a
ZIP drive, and a card reader, that's it.

No DVD burning software installed. (just using the built in stuff that
comes with Vista)

No system tools software installed.

I have tried to think of anything I installed that could have any impact
on a CD/DVD drive, but there isn't anything installed but some basic
applications (Office, some media players, etc) and utils (brosers, IM
software, stuff like that).

ZIP Drive

My system worked fine for months with the Iomega ZIP drive installed.
No problems with the CD/DVD drive before. But just to make sure, I
tried disconnecting it. No change. That's not it.

Any other suggestions?

Old February 14th 07, 12:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bp

(dot) com" wrote:

I don't have any virtual drives installed. I have 6 SCSI hard drives, a
ZIP drive, and a card reader, that's it.

No DVD burning software installed. (just using the built in stuff that
comes with Vista)

No system tools software installed.

I have tried to think of anything I installed that could have any impact
on a CD/DVD drive, but there isn't anything installed but some basic
applications (Office, some media players, etc) and utils (brosers, IM
software, stuff like that).

ZIP Drive

My system worked fine for months with the Iomega ZIP drive installed.
No problems with the CD/DVD drive before. But just to make sure, I
tried disconnecting it. No change. That's not it.

Any other suggestions?

Nope

Wait
Do you have any other devices listed under CD dvd drives?