Sidewinder Strategic Commander problems

Old March 29th 08, 02:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BODYPRINT[_3_]

Default Sidewinder Strategic Commander problems

Here is a slightly updated version with better timing functions and some
deadzone features added.

I'd really like to know if these are working for you guys.
I'll get onto the key definitions as soon as possible.

Cheers,Phil.

|Filename: Strategic-Setupv0.1.zip |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3252|

BODYPRINT
Old April 2nd 08, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ravynmagi

I upgraded from Vista 32 bit to Vista 64 bit. And to my disappointment
found my Strategic Commander no longer worked.

I just stumbled across this thread from Google. So I tried out the
above linked program.

What you've done so far looks promising. It seemed to recognize my
Strategic Commander. I pressed some buttons on the controller and the
program saw them. I started the engine and went to note pad and pressed
the number keys and a series of numbers were outputted out.

I tested it out in a game (The Witcher), but it didn't seem to work in
game. Example the "1" key should activate an insignia in game. Pressing
the 1 key on the keyboard works, but pressing it on the Strategic
Commander does nothing. I alt-tab back to notepad and it still works
there though.

So I tried playing the game in window mode to see if that made a
difference, but it still doesn't.

But still, looks good so far, the engine does seem to see my Strategic
Commander

--
Ravynmagi
Old April 2nd 08, 03:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BODYPRINT[_4_]

OK guys, here is another updated version.
Still alot of work to go, but it's coming along nicely.
I really need to start thinking about saving profiles. Nobody wants to
re-assign the keys everytime they start the program

@ Ravinmagi - I have changed the Key Output style, so it may help with
your game as per the above post. Also, does the game use the keypad 1
key or the top numbers?

I must confess I havn't tried it in alot of games yet.

Changes since the last version-
Added key definitions for alot of the buttons and directions.
Made the High Precision timer selectable because of incompatability
with XP64 and possibly some hardware.
Added a Walk Zone to press a key while the direction is past the
deadzone but remains in the walk zone. Useful for games with a walk key
assignment.
Changed Key output to not repeat the Press function while the key is
down. (Will make this selectable in future version)

Again, Please report back with any problems/requests.
Thanks, Phil.

|Filename: Strategic-Setupv0.2.zip |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3332|

BODYPRINT
Old April 3rd 08, 08:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BODYPRINT[_5_]

OK, it seems this doesn't work with DirectX games, only OpenGL games,
which is what I was testing it on. DOH !!

I'm learning how to do the presses differently and will release a new
version when I get it.

--
BODYPRINT
Old April 3rd 08, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BODYPRINT[_6_]

OK guys...

Here is the latest version. Still no Profiles and I still have to
implement the Function buttons and the Slider....

BUT

I have got it working in DirectX games now !! Yay. arty:

So, changelog...

-DirectX games support. Should work in everything now !!
-A bit prettier, still not happy with the look yet. (Ideas anyone)
-Control Panel Key Feedback, visual representation of the state of the
assigned keys. (Will help setup the WalkZone)
-Heaps of code optimization and commenting.

Things I need from you guys. I've been running it in a virtual machine
for my XP64 testing. The button text looks really crappy, but I don't
know if it's because it's in a VM or if it's XP64. Feedback would be
nice.

Thanks, Phil.

|Filename: StrategicSetupv0.3.zip |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3345|

BODYPRINT
Old April 6th 08, 08:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
derek_bartram[_3_]

I've just tested the latest version, and firstly well done, this
software is a BIG step in the right direction....

1) Personally i'm happy with the configuration utility, it's simple
yet effective
2) With the movement direction thing (i.e. move top of controller
up, down, left, and right mine is always to the left of the center box
by default, moving right just about takes it to center and left past the
limit of the box (although it looks like the software limits the
pointer). Some sort of calibration would perhaps be an idea.
3) Definatly works with supreme commander
4) I can confirm button text looks fine on Windows Server 2008 x64.

Pretty pretty please, any chance of some source code? I would love to
do a .net port of the interface to make it a little more usable (perhaps
some nice shiney vista stuff).

(One of my current projects, 'CodeProject: WPF C# Ribbon Control
Library. Free source code and programming help'
(http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WPF/ribboncontrol.aspx), a office 2007
style ribbon control)

--
derek_bartram
Old April 9th 08, 05:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BODYPRINT[_7_]

Just a quick update.

I've made alot of progress on the software. I have the 3 Function Keys
working and the Slider all works fine.

I'm currently in the process of doing 2 things...

1. Changing the keypress routine to allow for Keycombo's and sequences
similar to the Original drivers.

2. Converting to Visual Studio .NET.
This will allow 2 things. First, it will be much prettier with OS
specific buttons etc. So on Vista it will look like Vista and XP will
look like XP.
It will also, hopefully, allow me to get rid of the whole timer setup
(which XP doesn't like) and provide much faster feedback. .NET handles
fast loops much better than VS6.

It has been a bit of a challenge and there is alot more work to do, but
it's coming along nicely.

I estimate about 2 weeks for the next update.

--
BODYPRINT
Old April 9th 08, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
fVe

Keep us posted. I love my Commander and was sad to see it discontinued
by MS. Bad show.

I've been messing around with the .inf file and I can manage to get
Vista 64 to recognize the drivers, but it fails to install them... ("A
problem was encountered while attempting to add the driver to the
store.")

--
fVe
Old April 23rd 08, 08:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Blaen

Very impressive Bodyprint. I've been holding out switching to x64 until
I've managed to get the strat to work. I've been playing for months
with the original drivers along with a friend who works at Microsoft to
port them to x64 but it's not looking successful. Really grateful for
all the work you're doing on the new setup and x64 drivers. I'll start
providing proper feedback with the next release, which I guess is
imminent.

--
Blaen
Old April 24th 08, 10:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
derek_bartram[_4_]

Blaen;691720 Wrote:
I've been playing for months with the original drivers along with a
friend who works at Microsoft to port them to x64 but it's not looking
successful.

Can you get me a copy of the source please. I'd like to have a crack at
it.

Thanks,
Derek. )

Ps. I'm happy to sign whatever non-disclosure agreement is neccasery.

--
derek_bartram