Sidewinder Strategic Commander problems

Old July 16th 08, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
wrodney4

Default Sidewinder Strategic Commander problems

It does not work for me. HELP

"turbotoes" wrote:

Don't panic, just follow the instructions this post I made a couple of weeks
ago and all will work beautifully I promise. Since then I've also used it in
gothic3 and splinter cell double agent.

turbotoes

Well having spent most of the afternoon moping about it I actually got the
sidewinder to work, it’s quite simple.
Install the sidewinder software, at a certain point you will be asked if “
you really want to quit the setup program?” say yes.
Tootle off to the folder in which you installed the software and drag
“DEAMON14” into startup and you might as well get yourself a shortcut to the
program itself on the desktop while you are at it.
Now get yourself off to Device manager by your favourite route. Under the
heading “Human Interface Devices” you will see two ( maybe more) items. The
ones we are interested in are
Usb Human Interface Device, this equals your strategic commander
And
HID compliant device, this little fellow will become ms sw strat com hid
drivers
Two other devices will appear as we get the drivers installed, these are ms
virtual keyboard and ms virtual mouse, hoorah.
So to get the little devils working like you want, right click on the “Usb
Human Interface Device” choose “update driver software” then click “browse
my computer for the driver software”
Then click “ let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” then
you will be given a list in that list will be “ Microsoft strategic
commander” click on that, followed by “next” around this point you will get
the usual warning that the driver is unsigned click on “install anyway” or
the equivalent there of!!
Rince and repeat for the HID compliant device and when you have done that
you will find that the virtual kb and mouse will have appeared, you should
not have to change their drivers. Windows will tell you that you need to
restart your computer (that has not changed) and when you reboot your strat
comm should work!!!
You will need to repeat this process if you change usb ports, I’ve tested
it in guild wars and nwn2 and all was fine.

turbotoes

"Racquel" wrote:

My list of problems just keeps growing and growing. I am trying to install
the controller onto my Vista system & have encountered several problems. The
latest problem is while attempting to install the software, the
"installshield" application stops working almost instantly when it appears to
be completeing installation ... then there are 2 choices I am given, one is
to close the program & the other is to check online for a solution. Needless
to say, the button for checking online yields no results . To address other
problems, previously I was able to install the CD up to the point where it
would check the connection of the device to the USB but didnt recognize it
(USB port is active the working & computer itself recognizes the device &
that it was 'installed' properly) & also at another time I received an error
message that 'critical system files are missing or corrupted' (to try to fix
this based on microsofts suggestion of installing it as an administrator
doesnt work either) . I am at my wits end w/this thing... Can anyone help?

Old July 16th 08, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bone_Daddy

@ wrodney4:

What doesn't work for you? You'll need to provide more information.

--
Bone_Daddy
Old July 20th 08, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gamexprt1

Can someone provide the software for this device? I got it at a Good
Will and it didn't come with instructions or a disc.

--
gamexprt1
Old July 27th 08, 02:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chuck_IV

Great job Bodatpaint. I've dusted of my Strategic Commander abd couldn't
be happier.

I have 1 request for the software... have separate dead zone settings
for the Forward/Backward vs Left/Right movement of the joystick portion
of the Commander. What I'm hoping to do is set some deadzone for
Left/Right movement, but little to no deadzone for Forward/Backward
movement.

Thanx again.

--
Chuck_IV
Old October 20th 08, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hacki

Hi there,
I cheered when I found the forum and instantly got my SC off the shelf.
Never thought that I would be able to use this tool again.
I've read the whole forum in order not to miss anything. When I finally
wanted to download the software that Bodyprint has written (which I find
absolutely extraordinary not to look for a possibility to just run the
software but to write his own code - THANKS! for this inspiration), I
felt close to heaven.
But like a climber that reaches the overhang and sees the top is still
far away:
unfortunately neither the link
http://www.vistax64.net/forums/attac...achmentid=4203
nor the link
'...Fast and Easy Web Hosting at a reasonable price...'
(http://www.cold-incision.com/SE) WEB/Installers/StrategicSetupv1.3.exe
that were posted in this forum were working.
Is there any possibility how I can get the software?
Please help me!
Hacki

--
hacki
Old October 23rd 08, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gflow359

Hi,
I'd like to have the software too. Maybe someone who has it could mail
it to me:

Thank You!

--
gflow359
Old October 25th 08, 11:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vb4me

me too, need download link please?

Hi everyone,

today I bought this weird looking gray computer accessory at a garage
sale for $5 today and the guy said i'd be able to download the software
as there was no disc. Since then I discovered its hard enough to get a
driver if on an older platform but I have Vista 64 so it looked even
grimmer.
Now, after about 2-3 hrs searching and reading posts I got to this one
and became excited. The posts showed that the Strategic Commander has
quite a hard core fan group and now I couldn't wait to get it working
and see why! I have honestly been dreaming of a controller like this and
have searched the net looking for one and gave up as thought they didn't
exist. I'm rapt that it actually does and hoping it will be good in FPS
games that I play sometimes. I read all 11 pages of this post (yep -
hate to miss anything) and everone has big raps on Bodyprint's new
software.

Bodyprint,...sounds like you have done really well and I'd like to also
donate in appreciation of your time in developing this. Please post (or
send me) a link.

Cheers!
VB4me

--
Vb4me
Old October 25th 08, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jjthomas

Thanks for posting the link.

-JJ

--
jjthomas
Old October 26th 08, 12:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hacki

Thank You;
very good detective work .
Cannot wait to try it....
And again: Thanks to Bodyprint!

--
hacki
Old October 27th 08, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vb4me

No problem,
The software is functional (ta BP) and I got my SC working ok.
Nb - The forum where I found the link said that Bodyprint had to
relocate to another server. Also said on hols and updates via the
software will be temporarily unavailable.
The link is to V 1.3 but i think he was up to 1.5 so keep checking
updates!

Unfortunately the SC is not as good as I thought for FPS, too many
quick movements req. Does anyone else use it for FPS games?....or only
RP like WOW etc.

--
Vb4me