HCL

Old February 15th 07, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JustABloke

Default HCL

What is the point of a HCL that contains incorrect information?

I purchased a network card based upon the information contained within the
HCL, it simply doesn't work. I've not been able to find any kind of network
card wired or wireless that works.

Microsoft and all the various hardware vendors simply shrug their shoulders
and I am left with the best part of £1000 worth of computer that is
essentially useless to me.
I can't allow Vista itself to see if updated drivers are available for my
cards because I can't get online and there's no way to check for undated
drivers available from microsoft without connecting using your Vista client.
DLINK categorically state there are no 64 bit drivers available for any of
their products as yet. The HCL clearly identifies DWL- G510 as being
compatible.
Yet another quality product launch from M$.

I am absolutely furious about this.
So I'll wear the cost of my useless op sys but I'm gonna uninstall it
(It'll turn itself off soon anyway because I can't activate it) and it'll
gather dust. When XP is no longer supported I'll switch to Linux.

Nice one Bill ;-)
Old February 15th 07, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

"JustABloke" wrote in message
[...]

According to the HCL only DWL- G510 rev.C is Logoed for Vista under 64 bit.
What revision card are you using?

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Old February 15th 07, 07:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kayusee

I don't know why you guys always rush to 64 bit windows operating system, as
soon as it is launched. It usually take some time for most hardware
manufacturer to come out with 64 bit compatible drivers. Most of them
concentrate on the 32 bit drivers first, because that is what the majority of
their buyers use.
Old February 15th 07, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
johnm

personally, I have a hard time constantly hearing "... It usually take some
time for most hardware
manufacturer to come out with ... whatever compatible drivers..."

These "vendors" have had 5 freakin' years to get drivers ready for Vista.
The fact that many haven't yet is, to me, a clear sign that they won't.

This is simply, as it has always been, about money.
"Buy a new card, printer, modem, insert device name here", they say.
Never mind that you just dropped $200+ on a new Video Card w/ TV Tuner 2
months ago, and that it is still widely available on on store shelves as we
speak - they're now calling it a "legacy" device.

Give me a break. It isn't that vendors -can't- release drivers, they just
choose -not to-.
....and why should they? They already have your money...

Best of all, MS is selling Vista by saying it contains many thousands more
drivers built in than XP ever had.
You have to admit, that marketing claim certainly at least "implies" that
Vista contains all the drives found in XP, PLUS thousands more....

This is simply NOT true.

This latest release from MS is enough to make even a die-hard Windows user
think about looking at a Mac.

Old February 15th 07, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"that marketing claim certainly at least "implies" that Vista contains all
the drives found in XP"
I did not get that implication at all, but then I try very hard not to make
assumptions.
Look at all the hardware that has come out since Windows XP was released and
you can see how flawed the reasoning can be especially when applied to a new
operating system.

As for me, fortunately all my hardware works with native Vista drivers.
The newest component between my desktop and laptop is a nearly 3 year old
video card in the desktop.
The laptop lacks Aero, but that is all.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old February 16th 07, 12:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JustABloke

Would I be furious if I had been silly enough to buy an incorrect version of
the card?
I do my research. I've invested the time and money in this.

here is the reply from D Link support....

Dear Mark,

you contacted us earlier today because you were having trouble getting your
DWL-G510
to work under Windows Vista.

While D-Link UK has not yet released an official driver, there are a few
other sources that
offer drivers compatible with the card.

Here is the page from the HCL...
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...v.C%29&oid=410

I have every right to be angry about this, I bought this card to replace my
perfectly serviceable linksys adapater, an adapter that link sys were candid
enough to say they were never going to develop 64 bit drivers for.

Perhaps I missunderstood the part of the HCL list where it boasts "devices
just work".

I'm not suggesting that MS should include drivers for everything but the
fact is if it's on that list it should just work; it doesn't and I've no
where to go.
Understandably my vendor is saying "it's SEP,we sold it in good faith."

Where does that leave me? exactly.