Vista Tryout

Old February 17th 07, 12:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
HrundiBakshi

Default Vista Tryout

I am thinking of making the jump to Windows Vista (Ultimate 64) in the very
near future, as I am building myself a new Clovertown computer. From what I
hear, however, at this point in time there are serious driver issues with
many major hardware manufacturers (including nVidia and Creative, to name a
few).

I also heard that it might be possible to try Vista before purchasing a
license. I am, hence, interested in trying out Vista to see if it causes
problems with my specific setup. How do i do that? Will I be able to return
the Vista DVD to the seller for a full refund in case things do not work out
as expected?

Otherwise, is there any way I can download a trial version which I can try
for a limited time before registering? (Note that I reside in Germany.)
Old February 17th 07, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"HrundiBakshi" wrote

[...]

No, most resellers won't take back opened software. MS has a refund policy
but only for North America. I am unaware of any trial versions publicly
available. Why are you asking this in the hardware newsgroup?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old February 17th 07, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
HrundiBakshi

No, most resellers won't take back opened software. MS has a refund policy
but only for North America. I am unaware of any trial versions publicly
available.

Thank you. So what do I do if things do not work out?

Why are you asking this in the hardware newsgroup?

It is, after all, a hardware compatibility issue at its core, although sort
of a generic one, I agree.
Old February 17th 07, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Squibbly

"HrundiBakshi" wrote in message
[...]

i HAD a problem with sound, but i re-installed vista after format the drive,
i did not do it when upgrading from xp, now thats asking for trouble, i know
that vista installation will rename the old installation windows.old but all
being fine, i would recommend if your using it to upgrade from xp, dont,
unless you got the upgrade version, but i would scrub the current
installation and install the upgrade without the drivers for cards, this
will mess things up

now after the excrutiating first few weeks of hell i just formatted the
drive, like i have already said, and just install from there onwards, yea
you can add drivers to your cards after the formating in the installation
screen aslong as they are for vista

now i dont have trouble with sound, the graphics all i can say is that the
complete user friendly panel is not complete

Old February 17th 07, 11:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Squibbly

ooh did i say that the creative drivers are actually beta at the moment of
this post, someone said they will bring out new drivers, at the end of this
month

Old February 17th 07, 12:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"HrundiBakshi" wrote
No, most resellers won't take back opened software. MS has a refund
policy
but only for North America. I am unaware of any trial versions publicly
available.

Thank you. So what do I do if things do not work out?

Why are you asking this in the hardware newsgroup?

It is, after all, a hardware compatibility issue at its core, although
sort
of a generic one, I agree.

Lol, it has nothing to do with hardware devices. Hardware devices means, I
have a certain video card, does it work with Vista. Your question belongs
in the general section.

I don't know what you should do, that's for you to decide. One thing
though, if you borrow a Vista DVD from someone you can install without a key
and run it for 30 days, and there is a command to extend it for two more 30
day periods. After that remove it or activate. I don't remember off hand
what that command is, Google or search the newsgroups for it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]