iPod and other USB devices not working with Vista

Old February 17th 07, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Matt

Default iPod and other USB devices not working with Vista

"John Boy" wrote:

Mithun wrote:
Hey, I justed installed my copy of vista (clean install). Vista doesn't seem
to recognize USB devices which were designed for plug&play. My iPod &
External DVD writer do not work. Vista recognizes them but cannot find a
driver to install. My iPod-iTunes software is up-to-date and have
re-installed couple of times but cant get vista to install my iPod or the
DVD-writer. Am I missing something here or does anyone else have simliar
problems as well ?

Suggestion appreciated, thank you

You need to look at your system for the problem.
I have 5 separate installations of Vista and
there are no USB problems in any of my
installations. The problem is not in Vista!!

If there are not appropriate drivers, that is
not Microsoft's fault!

Contact the manufacturer or vendor about drivers!

John boy, like UAN said, its not the drivers, its vista. I've been having
problems with Vista on this laptop since i've gotten it. All the software
i've ever installed on my XP desktop has worked without a hitch. I can't use
my drawing tablet because vista is saying the software doesn't match the
tablet, and yet it works fine on my desktop. its vista that is screwed up.
Microsoft didn't plan ahead well enough with vista. Vista is the problem.
they should have fixed their current version of XP before making another
version of windows.

Old July 7th 07, 11:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Janet

"Matt" wrote:

"John Boy" wrote:

Mithun wrote:
[...]

Hi - I talked to the Apple people this afternoon and finally got my problem
solved - which was installing an Ipod shuffle. I have been reading these
posts for a week and trying everything. Finally got a solution.......I'm new
at this stuff.......just checking to see if you need the info I got.
Old July 8th 07, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carol

"Janet" wrote:

Hi - I talked to the Apple people this afternoon and finally got my problem
solved - which was installing an Ipod shuffle. I have been reading these
posts for a week and trying everything. Finally got a solution.......I'm new
at this stuff.......just checking to see if you need the info I got.

Please!!!!!! I am desperate to get this Ipod back up and running. Works on
my XP computer, doesn't even recognize it on my Vista. (Sony Vaio). My other
Vista, a Toshiba, does recognize it. Help, anyone, help.

Thanks, Carol
Old July 9th 07, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Janet

"Carol" wrote:

"Janet" wrote:

Hi - I talked to the Apple people this afternoon and finally got my problem
solved - which was installing an Ipod shuffle. I have been reading these
posts for a week and trying everything. Finally got a solution.......I'm new
at this stuff.......just checking to see if you need the info I got.

Please!!!!!! I am desperate to get this Ipod back up and running. Works on
my XP computer, doesn't even recognize it on my Vista. (Sony Vaio). My other
Vista, a Toshiba, does recognize it. Help, anyone, help.

Thanks, Carol

Okay Carol - first of all, let me tell you what was going on with
me.....when I plugged in my shuffle, I kept getting messages saying drivers
couldn't be found or either the drivers had been found but the USB mass
storage device could not be found. In Device Manager the ipod was in Other
Devices with an exclamation point next to it. Here's what I did: (put ipod
in "off" position)
1. plug in the ipod and ignore anything about the drivers
2. go to Device Manager, rt. click ipod and uninstall
3. in Control Panel, go to Programs and Features
4. uninstall itunes and quicktime (rt. click and uninstall both)
5. Restart computer, leaving ipod plugged in
6. When box appears, reassign the ipod to Drive Q(there will be a drop down
menu with all letters)
7. Restart computer
8. install itunes

Please let me know if this works for you. I know how frustrating this is and
luckily I am still able to receive online assistance from Apple. I tried
everything I could find.....
Old July 20th 07, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sara

"Janet" wrote:

"Carol" wrote:

"Janet" wrote:

[...]

hello janet... sorry but i didn;t get how step 6 (6. When box appears,
reassign the ipod to Drive Q(there will be a drop down
menu with all letters) )would be done...would you pls elaborate it... where
would i reassign it? it seems that i dont have here Drive Q. thanks
Old August 8th 07, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PI

Janet, I tried your solution (I'm having the same problem with my 60Gb ipod),
and when I uninstalled the ipod and itunes and rebooted, I was not given an
option to choose the drive letter of my ipod. I just got the same message
that the driver could not be found. Thank you for the suggestion, but once
again I'm stymied. If anyone else has any ideas, I would be really
appreciative.

Old August 10th 07, 12:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Marjay

Are you running Vista 64 bit?? If so, there is an inf file missing at
least it was for me. The name of the file is USBSTOR.INF
See if you can copy it from your other Vista machine to this one. It
should be in the INF folder. There is also a USBSTOR.PNF which should
be copied also.

Let me know if that solves your problem

Richard

Old August 11th 07, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PI

Thanks for responding. No, I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I have a new
hard drive coming next week, and I'm going to get the chance to do a clean
install with all of the devices plugged in. Maybe this will help, maybe it
won't, but I will report on my findings. In the meantime, if anyone else has
ideas, it'd be terrific.

Tom

Old August 11th 07, 11:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Marjay

Did you check to see if those two files were present in your INF file
directory??