Can't get to my 2nd Hard drive

Old February 18th 07, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
1HugeBacon

Default Can't get to my 2nd Hard drive

I have a 2nd hard drive that I use for storage. Both of my drives are IDE,
drive C: is disk 1, Basic, my 2nd drive is Dynamic. the 2nd drive shows up in
BIOS as well as during the post. It also shows up in disk management as
offline. It isn't labeled missing, but there are no volumes on the disk. I
can't get to the reactivate option. I can't see it in My Computer. I've
checked all the cabling and power, and everything is in order. It shows up in
the device manager as working properly.

What else can I try?
Old April 29th 07, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mooka

"1HugeBacon" wrote:

I have a 2nd hard drive that I use for storage. Both of my drives are IDE,
drive C: is disk 1, Basic, my 2nd drive is Dynamic. the 2nd drive shows up in
BIOS as well as during the post. It also shows up in disk management as
offline. It isn't labeled missing, but there are no volumes on the disk. I
can't get to the reactivate option. I can't see it in My Computer. I've
checked all the cabling and power, and everything is in order. It shows up in
the device manager as working properly.

What else can I try?

I wish I had an answer to your problem, but I have the exact same thing
happening to me. Second hard drive worked fine in XP, now not showing up in
vista. Using some S.M.A.R.T readers, for hard drive temp, some will show the
second hard drive and others wont. My Bios shows it. Strange... Can someone
help?
Old May 23rd 07, 05:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jules

I have a similar problem. x2 sata disks. (Both bootable Vista and XP) In
the beginning I could 'see" the second disk (XP) in vista using My computer
and explorer, but now it is not recognised.
The other disk is a bootable disk with XP on it (and a lot of my old files)
and if I boot off the XP disk I can see the contents of the vista disk, but
not vice versa.
What has changed? (Could it be any of the 'updates' that have been installed?)

Old May 24th 07, 09:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jules

Well today I solved the problem.
Before I start I will add that I could 'see' both disks in the bios, but I
couldn't 'see' the XP disk(storage) when in disk management when I booted off
the Vista disk.
I was correct about the Vista updates. According to the Tech at MS there
was a Vista update that updated the system files containing drivers and
overwrote it. Unfortunately this removed the driver for the XP disk (which
is Sata1) (The Vista disk is Sata2).
The solution is was to remove the XP disk(storage) disk and reboot the
machine without it. Then close down. Then reinstall the XP disk (storage)
and re-boot. The driver was then reinstalled (by Vista) . Problem solved.

Old May 24th 07, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jules

Your'e welcome Mooka. Glad it worked for you. I hoped it would help by
returning to the thread and posting.