do I have a keylogger or not?

Old February 18th 07, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
T5

Default do I have a keylogger or not?

xoftspy tells me that I have a keylogger called PCTattletale but windows
defender doesnt pick it up nor does Norton 2007 protection centre nor does
Hijackthis nor spybot S&D so do i have it or not?

In a recent post a user told me that it must have been installed manually if
it is there but I havent installed anything other than the os and office
(apart from of course the antispy progs I have mentioned)

Is PCTattletale a part of the parental control software in Vista?

Old February 18th 07, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Pipboy

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:42:43 -0000, T5 wrote:

xoftspy tells me that I have a keylogger called PCTattletale but windows
defender doesnt pick it up nor does Norton 2007 protection centre nor does
Hijackthis nor spybot S&D so do i have it or not?

In a recent post a user told me that it must have been installed manually if
it is there but I havent installed anything other than the os and office
(apart from of course the antispy progs I have mentioned)

Is PCTattletale a part of the parental control software in Vista?

Never heard of that anti-spyware prog. What is the file name it says is a
keylogger? Search for that file on the internet and see what info you get
about it.
Old February 18th 07, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
T5

doing a google search I get that is actually a keylogger program that you
can buy as a parental control but I cannot find it anywhere on my system
but yet xoftspy finds it

Old February 18th 07, 08:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dale

Just google PCTattletale.

Perhaps the wife is checking up on you. If not her, someone is.

Dale

Old February 18th 07, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dale

Many such programs don't show up on menus and are obfuscated in various ways
such as calling their executable rundll.exe or svchost.exe.

Dale

Old February 19th 07, 12:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Stacy M. Woods

It depends on what "winload.exe" looks like. "winload.exe" is part of Vista
and "WinLoad.exe" is part of PC TATTLETALE

Old February 19th 07, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dale

Nah, that's not enough to make the distinction reliably. PC Tattletale
could have easily named their executable in lower case as well though, as
you say, they didn't and you can use that as a hint but you really have to
be more thorough than that.

Some suggestions I have seen are to look at the Image Path Name in Task
Manager (click View-Select Columns) and if you see svchost or winload or
rundll32 running from a path other than your WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTEM32 folder,
it is obviously suspect.

That said, svchost.exe and rundll32.exe are both huge security risks even
when you know that the application is the legitimate one. Both of those
applications are used to run other applications and obfuscate the real
process that those two are running. Any installation program, including the
installation for SideBar gadgets, can configure your system to run any
program it wants using those two applications and the running application
will not show up in task manager.

Dale

Old February 20th 07, 07:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Pipboy

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:11:57 -0000, T5 wrote:

doing a google search I get that is actually a keylogger program that you
can buy as a parental control but I cannot find it anywhere on my system
but yet xoftspy finds it

Download and run a-squared Free 2.1, it looks for keyloggers. Only thing is
I don't know if it is compatible with Vista.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/
Old April 2nd 07, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
normviv73

Paretologic Anti-Spy also makes XoftspySE and both use the same database for
their scans. As of last week neither one had been upgraded to cover Vista so
I think the fact that they find PCTattletale in
c:\windows\system32\winload.exe is an error caused by lack of compatibility
with Vista. I allowed it to corrupt winload several times before I realized
that and could not reboot without putting in my Vista Ultimate 32 bit disk
and booting to it for a repair session. I am going to uninstall my
Paretologic software and try reinstalling it using Windows XP SP2
compatiblity mode although that failed to solve a problem I was having with
Symantec software that was advertised as being Vista compatible.
NOTE: XoftspySE advertises on the internet that it is great for removing
PCTattletale but does not mention the problem with Vista winload.exe.

Old August 23rd 13, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

On Monday, February 19, 2007 4:00:19 AM UTC+8, Pipboy wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:42:43 -0000, T5 wrote:

xoftspy tells me that I have a keylogger called PCTattletale but windows
defender doesnt pick it up nor does Norton 2007 protection centre nor does
Hijackthis nor spybot S&D so do i have it or not?

In a recent post a user told me that it must have been installed manually if
it is there but I havent installed anything other than the os and office
(apart from of course the antispy progs I have mentioned)

Is PCTattletale a part of the parental control software in Vista?

Never heard of that anti-spyware prog. What is the file name it says is a
keylogger? Search for that file on the internet and see what info you get
about it.

PCTattletale is a keylogging software which logs all your computer activities include keystroke logginf, application lauched, website visited etc. Another well-known keylogger is Myjad Keylogger as I know, Please refer to this:

http://www.myjad.com/keylogger-pro.html

Both are monitoring programs for legitimate purposes like parental or company control. Only Trojan keylogger will auto-install if you have visited dirty websites. Otherwise there must be somone installs the keylogger on your computer to monitor your online activities.

Most keyloggers couldn't be detected or scannd by anti-virus program, or even though there are many anti-keylogger softwares but they seem not work so well.