Old May 18th 07, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rob

Default 4gb and vista Ultimate 32bit

"Tom Lake" wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
news
I know that Vista 32 will not REPORT 4gb of ram , as a matter of fact it
will most likely report 2.8gb out of 4 with my system.

BUT one thing I cannot find about this issue , is ALL 4gb being used?

And I do have 3gb of ram BUT my system only show 2.8gb , is this all I can
ever see? and is MY FULL 3gb being used even though its not being seen?

No, the other RAM is NOT being used. Your motherboard moves it above the
4 GB line and so it can't be reached by a 32-bit OS. For an explanation and
possible
workaround (not for all motherboards) see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988/

Tom Lake

Hey Tom and everyone else , thanks for the response.

I have read those links before so I guess 64 bit is the only way 4gb would
be used , BUT what about the 3gb I already have , why does it only show 2.8gb
I wonder?

thanks for any help

PS: Yes I tested the ram its all good , and the system is rock solid even
under heavy load , also CPUZ shows all 3gb but windows does not.