Old May 19th 07, 09:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

Default 4gb and vista Ultimate 32bit

In article , Rob
says...

"Tom Lake" wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
news
I know that Vista 32 will not REPORT 4gb of ram , as a matter of fact it
will most likely report 2.8gb out of 4 with my system.

BUT one thing I cannot find about this issue , is ALL 4gb being used?

And I do have 3gb of ram BUT my system only show 2.8gb , is this all I can
ever see? and is MY FULL 3gb being used even though its not being seen?

No, the other RAM is NOT being used. Your motherboard moves it above the
4 GB line and so it can't be reached by a 32-bit OS. For an explanation and
possible
workaround (not for all motherboards) see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988/

Tom Lake

Hey Tom and everyone else , thanks for the response.

I have read those links before so I guess 64 bit is the only way 4gb would
be used , BUT what about the 3gb I already have , why does it only show 2.8gb
I wonder?

Because the memory of PCI/PCIe cards is mapped from the top of the 4GB
downwards. If you go to device manager and look at the properties
resource tab for each device, you'll see that it has a certain amount
of memory allocated - even things such as the speaker have memory
addresses allocated to them.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........