DVDRW wont read disc after failed burn

Old February 19th 07, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
requin

Default DVDRW wont read disc after failed burn

Hello,

I was burning a DVD+RW using Roxio that came with my HP. For some reason,
the burn process failed or timed out. I hit the Cancel option in Roxio but
it took foreever to stop (more than 10 mins) so I forced Vista to reboot.
After reboot, I could not eject the disc in the drive and the DVD Drive did
not appear in Device Manager, only my secondary DVD Drive was there.
I uninstalled it via Device Manager and rebooted.
At reboot, Vista recognized both drive and installed them.
Device Manager show the 2 drives working properly.
However, since then, my DVD Burner (HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L) does not read
any kind of disc (DVD, CDs...) and I do not hear it "spool" up when I put a
disc in.
I have tried the following:
-Uninstall the drive via Device Managerscan for hardwa Vista recognizes
the drive and installs it properly but problem persists.
-Performed a system restore to a known good configuration. Didn't work,
problem persists.
-Uninstalled Roxio: didnt work, problem persists
-Re installed the LightScribe drive, same result

The drive appears in BIOS and in Device Manager.
I read somewhere here about modifying and deleting some settings in the
registry but I have never touched or modified the registry before so I am not
comforable doing that (btw I dont have a lower filter, just an upper one,
whatever that means).

I am short of having to restore my computer to factory settings, which would
be a huge annoyance.

Does anyone have a clue that could help me?

Many thanks,
Old February 19th 07, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.

If the drive doesn't spin up it is likely bad, contact HP tech support for a
replacement.

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

Old February 20th 07, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
VSO

You're not alone, my gatewat GM5407E is having the same problem, so its I'm
sure its a MS Vista problem. Gateways tech is in the dark also. All they know
is use system restore. Spent 3 hrs on a longdistance charge phone call with
them. They said to take it to a repair station like bestbuy and have then try
to fix the problem!!! think we will have to wait untill MS comes up with the
fix.
VSO