USB Problems/ drivers wont install

Old March 23rd 08, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel

Default USB Problems/ drivers wont install

This did not work for my external hard drive. The day before it woker but the
next day it started asking for drivers and I caN NOT FIND THEM ANYWHERE.. I
am confused .Why did it wok for 5 months and then stopped ? I did not make
any changes to the system but can not use my external storage anymore HELP
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"djrm" wrote:

Found a fix at last!

Click "Locate and install drivers software (recommended)" then "I dont have
the disc show me other options" then "Browse my computer for driver software
(advanced)" Chose the location "C:\Windows" and make sure the "include
subfolders" is ticked. BINGO

Works with all hardware (well it should do)

"djrm" wrote:

Exactly the same problem and its driving me mad. Ive reinstalled Vista three
times and this still keeps happening!!!!

This is what i have posted elsewhere...........

Please help. I have re-installed Vista three times now and this problem
keeps cropping up.

Usually when you attach certain peripherals windows automatically installs
generic drivers and away you go. This is the case with Vista as well
HOWEVER.......

After a few days use Vista keeps asking for drivers for no matter what new
hardware i try to attach to my Dell M1210.

If i attach a simple external hard drive for the first time i get "windows
needs to install driver software for your......"

If i ask it to install automatically then i get a prompt saying "insert the
disc that came with your device"

As an external hard drive dosent need any extra drivers i dont have a disc
and so windows cant use the hardware.

If i plug it into an XP machine i need no extra drivers, if i plug it into a
Vista machine soon after install i need no extra drivers but if i try and add
anything after a few days i get nowhere!

Any help would be great!

(Its not just the hard drive, its cameras, memory cards, printers, anything
external)

Is there any news on this yet??????

Old March 23rd 08, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel

I tried it .Did not help to find drivers for my external hard drive.

"bulb005" wrote:

try this website they have a fair amount of vista drivers

http://www.radarsync.com/vista/vista_more.php?result=0

am also having problems wit my optical mouse too.

" wrote:

Nothing i plug into my vista system works, vista cant find drivers for any of
my stuff, ie; memory stick, mp3, cell phone, external hard drive. i tried
that command prompt thing on ms troubleshoot for Autoplay, but no go.
everything works great on my xp systems. anyone got any ideas ????

Old March 23rd 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel

Did you find the solution so far ? I have the same problem you do. Do you
have an option of system recovery that brings the system into condition like
when you just bought it it ? I am going to try that because nothing else
helps. It's a major headache though because despite if keeping data files
everything else dissapeares.

Old March 23rd 08, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel

Would you share the experience ? I opened regedit and could not figure what
to do...

"runscooter" wrote:

Just wanted to add a very big Thank You!!

Regedit change seemed to have solved the problems that have taken two days
of my time!

"djrm" wrote:
[...]

Open Regedit

Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
\DevicePath to '%SystemRoot%\System32'

Old March 26th 08, 12:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chantilli

had same problem with cd/dvd drive it has to do with restore point and back
up i disabled the automatic on them and do it manually and this seems to
work.just set restore point for time when drivers work rite.this solution
came from dell support team.

Old April 16th 08, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Benjamin

Hey I hav tried the regedit solution, when I go to that location in regedit,
I don't
have any \DevicePath, just \Device Installer, what do u think I shuld do...
urgent help, coz my Laptop is almost useless
thanx

Old April 16th 08, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Benjamin

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

Benjamin wrote:
Hey I hav tried the regedit solution, when I go to that location in regedit,
I don't
have any \DevicePath, just \Device Installer, what do u think I shuld do...
urgent help, coz my Laptop is almost useless
thanx

Open Regedit

Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
\DevicePath to '%SystemRoot%\System32'

Are you really sure that you are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
and not under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

Uwe

Yes I am definitely su under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion, before \Device
Installer is \DateTime and after \Device Installer is \Diagnostics...

while under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion, before the
\Device Installer is \Controls Folder and after \Device Installer is
\DIFxApps....

thanx 4 ur time, but I dnt kno wat else to do, plzz help mi out....

Old April 17th 08, 07:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Uwe Sieber

Benjamin wrote:

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

Benjamin wrote:
Hey I hav tried the regedit solution, when I go to that location in regedit,
I don't
have any \DevicePath, just \Device Installer, what do u think I shuld do...
urgent help, coz my Laptop is almost useless
thanx

Open Regedit

Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
\DevicePath to '%SystemRoot%\System32'

Are you really sure that you are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
and not under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

Uwe

Yes I am definitely su under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion, before \Device
Installer is \DateTime and after \Device Installer is \Diagnostics...

"DevicePath" is a registry value while "DateTime" and "Device Installer"
are registry keys. Keys are similar to folders in the Windows Explorer
shown the yellow icon in a tree. The values are shown in the right pane
of the registry editor. Screenshot:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/gif/devicepath.gif

Uwe