USB Browser Mouse Driver Error

Old February 19th 07, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bulb005

Default USB Browser Mouse Driver Error

I got the following error while trying to install my usb dell optical mouse

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error
while attempting to install it

USB Browser Mouse

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry.
This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your
hardware vendor.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
check the support section for driver software."
Old February 20th 07, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

And have you been to the Dell website to look for an updated driver?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old February 21st 07, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spicewood

I had the same problem. On my system it was cause by installing the MS
Update:

CHIC - Other Hardware - USB Browser Mouse

After I installed the update, I could not configure a USB or BT mouse. I
would get the error you described.
I got things working again by removing the .inf file oem??.inf that was
installed by the update. I thought it
was a general mouse update, but I think it is a specific brand.

There were two CHIC updates on MS update. I don't know which one installed
the .inf file.

Dale

Old February 21st 07, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bulb005

i dint find the 'chic' update on my computer in the installed update list. my
guess is windows finds it anytime i plug in the mouse.

i appreciate all the help guys.

Old February 21st 07, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spicewood

Connect to Windows Update and click on "review update history". On my
system it does not show on control panel "program", but it does show on the
Windows Update history. Because it did not show as a installed update in
"programs", I could not uninstall it and had to remove the .inf file
manually.

Dale

Old February 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bulb005

i went through the installed updates and there is none for CHIC - Other
Hardware - USB Browser Mouse

do u remember the name of the .inf file so i could just do a search for it.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spicewood

I had the problem on two laptop and the file had a different name (number)
on each system. Vista appears to assign
a file name oem??.inf, where ?? is the next higher number. I use the
"review update history" display on the Window Update
web site to find the date the CHIC driver was installed and then looked at
the .inf files in C:\Windows\inf to find the .inf files
installed on that day. I then use notepad to look at the file and found the
one with CHIC definitions. I saved a copy
of the file and then deleted one in C:\Windows\inf. Reboot and both the USB
and Bluetooth mice installed OK.

Maybe the following will help locate the problem file on your system:

The bad .inf file on my system was: oem23.inf, but I think it will be a
different number on your system.

From the properties of the file:

Size: 12.6 KB (12,933 bytes)
Size on disk: 16.0 KB (16,384 bytes)

The first few lines of the file:

; moufiltr.inf
;
; Installation inf for the Device that needs flitering adapter.
;
; (c) Copyright 1999 Microsoft
;

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Provider=%DDK_Ex%
ClassGUID={4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Mouse
; Uncomment the following line when you have a valid catalog file.
; If you use bogus catalog file installation will fail.
CatalogFile=moufiltr.cat
DriverVer=12/20/2006

The last few lines of the file:

;
; Localizable Strings
;

DiskId1 = "Chic (Mouse)"
DDK_Ex = "Chic"
moufiltr.SvcDesc="Mouse Filter"
*PNP0F13.DeviceDesc ="PS/2 Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_0012.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_0011.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_0005.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_0009.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_0010.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_1010.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_1011.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_2021.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_2022.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_2023.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_2024.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_05FE&PID_3006.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_1241&PID_1111.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_1241&PID_1122.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_1241&PID_1155.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_1241&PID_1166.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_1241&PID_1177.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_1166.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_1111.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_1122.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_1133.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_1135.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_0499.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_048e.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_0451.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04d9&PID_0452.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04fc&PID_0003.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
USB\VID_04fc&PID_0005.DeviceDesc="USB Browser Mouse"
HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE="USB Browser Mouse"

Hope that helps...

Dale

Old February 23rd 07, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bulb005

mine was oem7.inf, i saved a copy like u said and did a reboot. but now i get
a new error

The system cannot find the file specified

"spicewood" wrote:

I had the problem on two laptop and the file had a different name (number)
on each system. Vista appears to assign
a file name oem??.inf, where ?? is the next higher number. I use the
"review update history" display on the Window Update
web site to find the date the CHIC driver was installed and then looked at
the .inf files in C:\Windows\inf to find the .inf files
installed on that day. I then use notepad to look at the file and found the
one with CHIC definitions. I saved a copy
of the file and then deleted one in C:\Windows\inf. Reboot and both the USB
and Bluetooth mice installed OK.

Maybe the following will help locate the problem file on your system:

The bad .inf file on my system was: oem23.inf, but I think it will be a
different number on your system.

From the properties of the file: