Old May 25th 07, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Mike

Default Initialize Junk filtering stops me opening Windows Mail

Steve and Gary,

Hurray, hurray! You have a satisfied customer! Steve's last suggestion
worked. Thanks very much indeed for sorting this one out - being without
access to my emails for what seems like 3 years but is actually only 3 days
has been a very worrying nightmare. I am not sure what is the cyberspace
equivalent of buying you a beer but if you are ever in the fens of north
Cambridgeshire drop in and see me.

I have three remaining issues which I would value your advice on.

1. What do I do with the copy of the HKEY file I made - delete it?
2. How do I get access to my old emails which I understand were in the
files I made copies of earlier in my documents folder, when I deleted the
winmail folders? (I do not need to copy them all into the my new mail
folder structure but I do need to get into them).
3. What do I do with the disconnected Norton Antivirus. I understand I do
not need it for winmail but does it need to be there at all for example to
check stuff I download from the internet or to open attachments sent to me?

Thanks again for everything so far.

Mike

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

As Gary says, you need to paste the entire line I supplied with the quotes.

If that did nothing then I don't know what else you can do except maybe
delete all the registry entries for WinMail. The junk filter info is in the
registry and that might have been corrupted.

Go to Start | Search and type regedit. Then choose continue to allow it and
then read the help file.

Then go to this registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail

and right click it and choose Export to back it up.

Then make sure WinMail is closed and right click on the key again and choose
Delete.

Then try starting Winmail.

steve

"Mike" wrote in message

Steve,

Thanks very much for your patience with me but I am not there yet.

To be honest I did not understand your instruction below! When you say
'paste the following' do you mean (the bit in brackets): ("C:\Program
Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" OCInstallReinstallOE), including the
quotes
or just (C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe) without quotes. If
the
later what does (OCInstallReinstallOE) mean? I did both and nothing
happened - but not every combination with and without quotes.

I have been using winmail for about a month and in that time have dealt
with
hundreds of emails - thousands if you count the junk it has cut out. I do
recall a message some days ago that I needed to compress something but I
was
busy at the time and didn't do it. The problem came after I had deleted a
load of junk mail and the contents of the recycle bin (possibly the next
time
I logged on). The fault message ".......,initialize junk filtering."
seems
to suggest there is a simple key sequence I should follow but how you to
do
it without being in winmail seems a problem.

Is it possible to reinstall winmail from the vista disc that came with my
computer? But if I do so what happens to all my mail and contacts
accumulated
over the last month. (I am still recovering from the transfer from
outlook
express to winmail!).

Many thanks so far, I do appreciate all the time you have spent on this,
especially as I now read that you are a volunteer and not the official MS
helpline as I thought originally.

Mike

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Well, let's try this.

Go to Start | Search and paste this and hit return:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" OCInstallReinstallOE

See if WinMail will start after that. Otherwise it looks to me as if
there
was a bad install. Did it ever work?

steve

"Mike" wrote in message
Steve,

Thanks, I have now done that and still the same old error message comes
up!

To recap my antivirus is removed and my windows mail directory is
empty, I
have run WMutil again and rebooted.

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Hi Mike,

You can ignore the reference to the registry key. Just move all the
contents (everything) to another directory. Create one under
Documents
so
you know where it is and then move everything to there so that the
contents
of the message store directory is completely blank. Then WinMail
should
start okay and you can add your accounts and then try importing the
messages
back from the directory to which you moved the stuff.

steve

"Mike" wrote in message
Steve,

Thanks. Please understand that I am out in the sticks and on my
own, I
do
not have a great deal of computer literacy and I do not have an
office
full
of eager computer buffs to explain PC terms I am not familiar with
e.g.
what
is a 'WinMail registry key', etc.

I have pasted the WMUtil line into my address bar and found my way
/Windows Mail/ via Appdata/Local/Microsoft/ etc. However I have
now
lost
the plot as to what I do now. Do I go back to your post of May 22
1.55
pm
and remove everything from the WindowsMail directory including all
folders(5)
files (15) and 'jig saw' icons (3)?

Where do I move all this to ?

And by the way what is a 'WinMail registry key'.

Be gentle with me.

Mike

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Duh. The directory is found under the Store Root value under the
WinMail
registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail

(see www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#wm )

If you load up my WMUtil program, it will also load up the path to
the
message store in the text box at the top which you can copy and
paste
into
Explorer's address bar. They are hidden files and folders also.

Sorry about that. G

steve

"Mike" wrote in message
Steve,

When you say 'go to tools' do you mean tools in Windows mail? I
cannot
open
Windows mail - that's my problem. Is there somewhere else I
should
be
looking?

Mike

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

The only chance now is to wipe out the database and see if it
will
start
then.

Go to Tools | Options | Advanced | Maintenance | Store Folder to
find
the
message store location. Then move everything under that Windows
Mail
directory to another directory, so that the Windows Mail
directory
is
completely empty. Then restart WinMail and it will open fresh
with
nothing
in the database. You can then add your accounts and if they
work
correctly
then you can import messages from the directory to which you
moved
the
files
back into WinMail (see www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#wm2wm).

If it still doesn't start, then post back and we can try other
things.

steve

"Mike" wrote in message
Gary, Thanks for your help. I completely removed Norton
Antivirus
and
it
still did not work. I also tried the WMUtil again and
rebooted
and
still
it
fails to work. The only small change is that the box for MS
Mail
appears
momentarily before the same error message covers it up again.

I am getting desperate - what's my next move?

Mike

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

Windows Mail is very sensitive to interference from certain
antivirus
programs. Read http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
If you have McAfee or Norton antivirus, uninstall it. Reboot
and
try
Windows Mail again. Once you get your email working properly,
download and install a less troublesome antivirus program
such
as
the
free Avast. Whichever antivirus program you keep, be sure to
disable its email scanning option.

Gary VanderMolen

"Mike" wrote in message
Thanks very much Steve but it did not work. Do you have
any
other
ideas
please?

Mike

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Try the compact and repair buttons here
(www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/)
and
see if
they fix the issue.

steve

"Mike" wrote in message
When I try to open mail I get the error message:

" Windows mail could ot be started. initialize junk mail
filtering.
Your
computer may be out of memory or your disk is full
(0x80070002)"

My disk is certainly not full. After that I get another
error
message:

"Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL
could
not
be
initialized."

What does this mean and what do I do to open up my mail
system
again?

If MS going to issue an upgrade to is mail system - it
seems