DVD/CD Drive Not Working

Old February 22nd 07, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leo

Default DVD/CD Drive Not Working

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
This solution fixed the same problem for me you are having.

--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"Lee Beck" wrote in message
Same problem here. DVD Burner No Longer Works

I installed a LG GSA-4163 DVD burner while in XP and it worked fine also
after migrating to Vista a couple of weeks ago. I also installed MS
OneCare
and did a backup last night (to an external drive – not to CD/DVD.) After
the backup and removal of the external drive I noticed that the DVD player
wasn’t showing in Windows Explorer. The backup and external drive
information may be coincidental – I only mention them since that’s when I
first noticed the problem, which may have occurred prior to the backup.

I went to Device Manager and there is the big yellow exclamation point by
the burner. I clicked on the driver and asked to search for a new driver
and
Vista returns a message that the most up-to-date driver is already
installed.
Trying to troubleshoot further I click on “search the web for answers”
while
still in the Device Manager/Properties tab and nothing happens when I
click
(I’m not redirected to a website - even though I’m online).

All the stuff above may be extraneous to the problem, but now I’d like
some
advice on how to proceed. I’m inclined to remove the device using Device
Manager and then try reinstalling it. This is venturing outside my
comfort
zone but I’m willing to do it if advised. I just don’t want to make the
problem worse. If needed, I’ll also crack open the box and physically
disconnect the wires from the hardware.

Is there a good website that provides details on troubleshooting a
non-functioning DVD burner? It could be a hardware problem but the device
on
light does light up when a disk is inserted.

Thanks for the help.

"AussieHolden" wrote:

I have the same issue they were working for a few days after installing
Vista
but now they don't work I am confronted with the little yellow signs in
device manager and the reason given is

(Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may
be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
and
to see if there is a solution available.)

I have tried everything and nothing has fixed the issue I beleave it has
something to do with an update from microsft in the past few days that
have
interferied with my DVD & CD rom burners. These drives are less then a
year
old and still being sold.

I have called IT Support at Microsoft Vista only to be put on hold twice
and
hung up on after an hour each time.

Old February 22nd 07, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leo

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
This solution fixed the same problem for me you are having.

--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"AussieHolden" wrote in message
Adam don't keep it to yourself explain how you fixed this issue to all
users
here in this forum.

It would seem it's happening to alot of Vista users now there CD & DVD
drives have stopped working on them and it's to do with Microsoft and they
need to fix this bug in a update asap and not ignore the issue.

"Mufaddal Adamjee" wrote:

Hi,
My Name is Adam, I had the same problem but I finally resoloved it.
contact
me on msn and i will email you some stemps to follow hope it should
resolve
your problem as well. my msn id is:
Kind Regards
Adam

Old February 23rd 07, 05:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AussieHolden

Nope did not fix the issue as I have already done this and that fix is for XP
not Vista.

"Leo" wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
This solution fixed the same problem for me you are having.
--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"Mufaddal Adamjee" Mufaddal wrote in
message ...
The same thing happend to me todays as well... This morning my D: drive
disappeared. Went to Device Manager and there was a
yellow exclamation mark. The message was "Windows cannot initialize the
device driver [code 37]." Followed troubleshooting advice:
uninstalled/reinstalled. The problem still exists. Went to MS for a KB and
was told that MS was aware of the problem but there was no KB at present.
Any
suggestions? Thanks.

Mr M Adamjee

Old February 23rd 07, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leo

I know the fix says it is for XP and Beta Vista. But it did fix the CD/DVD
problem on my Vista Ultimate system. As I recall, deleting the high and low
filters in the registry is what corrects the problem.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel Lapointe

I have a registry patch that fixes this issue easily, it's called "cdgone"
it was originally made for XP, but works flawlessly on Vista as well, you
just double click the cdgone.reg file to import it to the registry, reboot,
voila! all fixed. Search google, and if you can't find it, just email me at
and I'll send it to you.

Dan

Old March 5th 07, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

On Feb 22, 10:55 am, AussieHolden
wrote:
I have the same issue they were working for a few days after installingVista
but now they don't work I am confronted with the little yellow signs in
device manager and the reason given is

(Windowscannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available.)

I have tried everything and nothing has fixed the issue I beleave it has
something to do with an update from microsft in the past few days that have
interferied with myDVD& CD rom burners. These drives are less then a year
old and still being sold.

I have called IT Support at MicrosoftVistaonly to be put on hold twice and
hung up on after an hour each time.

I have the same problem! both my dvd and cd drive do not operate, I
did upgrade from XP pro to vista ultimate!
It is unbelievable that microsoft can sell this stuff who cost me 360
Euro and not working properly, altough i followed all xp move to vista
procedures!
If someone knows how to solve the problem?

Old March 23rd 07, 02:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cindy

This ABSOLUTELY works!!!!! Thank you Daniel.

I bought my Gateway laptop with Vista 4 days ago. Everything worked fine
until I tried to install my FREE lexmark printer that came with it but that
is another story. I am a computer dummy which is why some of the links to
fix the problem with the DVD (code 39 for me) scared me. But the fix below
works like a charm and takes all of about 2 minutes. I did create a restore
point (backed up my files) before I started but only because I didn't know
what I was doing...and please don't laugh at my simple instructions below,
I'm sure there are easier ways, but remember..I speak for the dummies.

Specific instructions:
www.gmayor.com/cd_gone.htm
Copy all instructions including the "title" Regedit4
Go to Programs on your start menu
Accessories
Notebook
"paste" this info in
Save As cdgone.reg
Close notebook
Start Menu
Accessories
Window Exploxer
Double click on this newly created file
Two seconds later it will say your registery has been updated (or something
like that)
Reboot That is it!

Good luck - and FYI apparently this works for XP too.

Old May 22nd 07, 05:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Iskabible

Thank you Daniel and Cindy. You saved my life. I have spent hours on this and
the other reg fixes didn't do a thing. This one did. Also, Cindy, your step
by step was perfection. You get an A+
--
ac