DVD/CD Drive Not Working

Old May 26th 07, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ice

Default DVD/CD Drive Not Working

I too send much love!!! worked like a charm. I already ordered a new dvd
drive, but that is ok. I am up and running without it. I tried the other
fixes listed above and couldnt find the upperFilters in my currentcontrolset.
This was soo much easier. Cindy, you must teach 2nd grade, because even I
understood your directions. thanks again.

"Iskabible" wrote:

Thank you Daniel and Cindy. You saved my life. I have spent hours on this and
the other reg fixes didn't do a thing. This one did. Also, Cindy, your step
by step was perfection. You get an A+
--
ac

"Cindy" wrote:

This ABSOLUTELY works!!!!! Thank you Daniel.

I bought my Gateway laptop with Vista 4 days ago. Everything worked fine
until I tried to install my FREE lexmark printer that came with it but that
is another story. I am a computer dummy which is why some of the links to
fix the problem with the DVD (code 39 for me) scared me. But the fix below
works like a charm and takes all of about 2 minutes. I did create a restore
point (backed up my files) before I started but only because I didn't know
what I was doing...and please don't laugh at my simple instructions below,
I'm sure there are easier ways, but remember..I speak for the dummies.

Specific instructions:
www.gmayor.com/cd_gone.htm
Copy all instructions including the "title" Regedit4
Go to Programs on your start menu
Accessories
Notebook
"paste" this info in
Save As cdgone.reg
Close notebook
Start Menu
Accessories
Window Exploxer
Double click on this newly created file
Two seconds later it will say your registery has been updated (or something
like that)
Reboot That is it!

Good luck - and FYI apparently this works for XP too.

"Daniel Lapointe" wrote:

I have a registry patch that fixes this issue easily, it's called "cdgone"
it was originally made for XP, but works flawlessly on Vista as well, you
just double click the cdgone.reg file to import it to the registry, reboot,
voila! all fixed. Search google, and if you can't find it, just email me at
and I'll send it to you.

Dan

"Leo" wrote in message
I know the fix says it is for XP and Beta Vista. But it did fix the CD/DVD
problem on my Vista Ultimate system. As I recall, deleting the high and
low filters in the registry is what corrects the problem.

--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"AussieHolden" wrote in message
Nope did not fix the issue as I have already done this and that fix is
for XP
not Vista.

"Leo" wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
This solution fixed the same problem for me you are having.
--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"Mufaddal Adamjee" Mufaddal wrote in
message ...
The same thing happend to me todays as well... This morning my D:
drive
disappeared. Went to Device Manager and there was a
yellow exclamation mark. The message was "Windows cannot initialize
the
device driver [code 37]." Followed troubleshooting advice:
uninstalled/reinstalled. The problem still exists. Went to MS for a KB
and
was told that MS was aware of the problem but there was no KB at
present.
Any
suggestions? Thanks.

Mr M Adamjee

Old June 9th 07, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
computergeek

3 days ago the icons for my dvd/cd drives dissapeared i haven't been able to
play anyform of cd or dvd, so i checked for any errors and i found this

"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available."

PLEASE HELP !!!, i may know alot about computers but i don't know how to
solve this problem

if anyone has solved this problem before please let me know asap

by the way i'm using windows vista
Old June 9th 07, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

I had this happen to me once, and here's how I fixed it...

Code 37
removing the upper and lower filters

Run REGEDIT, open up the following folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two
settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"

Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Old June 9th 07, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
computergeek

i'm trying what you just told mebut before i delete anything i need to ask
you something.
this are the files that showed up that you were talking about

1st file Name:lowerFilters Type: REG_MULTI_SZ Data: pfc PxHelp20
Cdr4_xp
2nd file Name: LowerFilters.Bak Type:REG_MULTI_SZ Data: PxHelp20
3rd file Name UpperFilters Type: REG_MULTI_SZ Data: Cdralw2k pwd_2k

so my question is do i delete all of these

Old September 19th 08, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
james1009

Hello everyone......It seem that there are alot more people other than
myself that are having trouble with missing cd/dvd drivers for Vista.

try this.....

First of all, copy and paste the following to your Notepad.....

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdr4_2K]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdralw2k]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdudf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\UdfReadr]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdr4_xp]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdudf_XP]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\UdfReadr_xp]

then save file in a location that is easy to find again, maybe save it
to your desktop. Save this as "CDGONE"

Start..then Run....Type in Regedit.....then click in File....Import.
Import the CDgone file that you copy and pasted for here...answer yes
to all the Warnings....reboot and then your done. You should see your
CD/DVD drives when you next reboot.

Hope this helps.

--
james1009