nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

Old December 18th 09, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jasperytlau[_2_]

Default nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

Hey P.

Im not sure if Im able to solve my problem but just a couple days ago I
have spotted that its actually my graphics card that is having problem
nothing to do wit other hardwares. It turn out to my assumption that it
might be the failure of a fan on ma display card that is causing the
problem. Cause I have noticed that when the fan is running the blue
screen or the error doesn't occur but when the fan stop running it error
occurs over and over again. Maybe spy on your graphic card while you
computer is turned on see if anything unusal is happenin to you graphic
card itself rather then other hardwares. Hope this might help you out a
bit.

Jas'

--
jasperytlau
jasperytlau's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/160115.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old December 22nd 09, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dleary1

None of the fixes worked for me. (I'm running w7 not vista btw). Here's
my workaround from safe mode:
1. use msconfig to remove all the nvidia stuff from startup
2. change the service to manual or disabled
3. rename the sys file to old
now I'm running at 1024x768 but at least I can boot.

--
dleary1
dleary1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/166380.htm

Old December 23rd 09, 07:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Phyriphiry[_2_]

In my case: the hardware was stuck.

After reinstalling, restoring, trying very different scenario's, the
videocard finally gave up and he didn't even boot anymore (not even in
BIOS).

So I bought new videocard and everything went back to normal.

Nvidia cards work only two years and one month !! (one month after
warranty period :-( )

--
Phyriphiry
Phyriphiry's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/164932.htm

Old December 23rd 09, 08:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jasperytlau[_3_]

Well I took ma graphics card in for repair and the reason was the fan
was workin and after it got fixed its runnin pretty smooth now.

Old December 24th 09, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coolronz

I never ever had this problem with Vista 64 Ultimate. But Windows 7
Professional 64 is another story... From my own experience, if I let
windows update, update my Gigabit LAN. Then and only then I get the
BSOD... I can literally let Windows update everything and its fine. But
if i let it update my REALTEK PCIe GBE, it messes everything up.
Hopefully this can help someone with the same problem.

--
coolronz
coolronz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/166732.htm

Old May 14th 10, 08:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Strider Ryu

For those who still need help with this problem; here is a step-by-step
solution for one suggestion that has already been posted on this thread
that could potentially solve the problem.

HAVE AN EXTERNAL DRIVE ON HAND IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR IMPORTANT FILES
AS THE PROBLEM CAN REOCCUR IN A MATTER OF HOURS AFTER IT HAS BEEN
"FIXED".

1: If you have a black screen, but your computer STILL turns on, you may
be able to fix this problem. All you have to do is plug an external
monitor into your laptop to get a display up. IF you connect an external
monitor and that fails to work, you're probably out of luck (because
your graphics card might really be dead) as you need a display to help
you navigate through command prompt later on, or if you're feeling
lucky, you can just blindly follow the instructions (assuming you're
viewing this answer on another computer, go through the pictures I
provide, IE pic of the System Recovery Options) then you still might be
able to fix your computer without a monitor.

2: Once you're able to get the display up and you're still getting the
BSOD, try to get into command prompt when given a choice. However, if
you're not given a choice to do so, press F8 before the splash screen
comes up with the loading bar. This will bring up Advanced Boot Options,
giving you the option to go to 3 different types of Safe Mode. It is
advisable to go to Safe Mode with Command Prompt. IF however, you're not
given the option to go into Safe Mode, DO NOT press F8 after a restart,
instead wait for the System Recovery Options to appear- Example:
http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...ry-options.jpg
I know how this goes, most of the options given here on the System
Recovery Options will not work, as you WILL get BSOD. Choose Command
Prompt.

3: You'll now start off with some directory line in command prompt,
something similar to this: C:\User\(Your Account). If for some reason,
you're not on the C drive, type "cd\" without the quotes, press enter
then type "c:". If you're already on the C drive, type cd\ anyway, you
need to go through some other directories in the next step.

4: Type "cd windows\system32\drivers" without the quotes, hit enter. Now
type "dir /p" go through the list of drivers and look for nvlddmkm.sys
(Notice: this is nvL not nvi), note the date to the left, keep in mind
that you'll need a driver that is prior to this date (one that you know
will work). Type "ren nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys.old" this will put the
current driver out of use and get you ready to inject and older version
of the driver (one that will hopefully work).

5: Type "cd\" you should now be back to "C:\". Type "cd nvidia" then
"dir". Now I've only fixed a Windows Vista using this method, so I'm not
sure if this is the same case for Windows 7, but there should be another
folder in C:\Nvidia. For Windows Vista, the folder is called winvista,
type in "cd winvista" to access it (now your directory should be
C:\Nvidia\winvista). Type "dir /p" again to view the files in this
folder, you should see many files with just numbers (IE 1**.**, the *
symbolizing the version number for the driver, so it could be 100.65 or
179.48 etc., depend on what you have). Look to the left at the date,
find one that has a date prior to the date listed on the nvlddmkm.sys
file in the windows\system32\drivers folder. Once you have chosen which
file you want to use, lets say for example 179.48, type "cd 179.48" (you
should now be in C:\Nvidia\winvista\179.48).

6: Type "expand nvlddmkm.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys".
This will install the version of the driver you've chosen. Your computer
may reset automatically.

Congratulations, you've made it this far. You're now able to get to the
log in screen, if you have set up any accounts for your laptop. It is
advisable that you get an external drive and move important/personal
files onto there before you attempt to use your laptop on a full time
basis. There have been some reports that the problem came back about 49
hours later.

Comments: As of now, 179.48 works, the update after that is what seems
to kill my friend's computer.

Hope that helps.

After using the above method to access the graphical interface of
Windows, click Start, go to Control Panel, then get to Device Manager.
You will probably see that your graphics card has a big yellow ! next to
it in Display Adapters. Right click the device, click the Driver tab and
try to choose Roll Back Driver. This will most likely fix your card and
return it to it's original factory state (way before the crash).

--
Strider Ryu
Strider Ryu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/220085.htm