Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Blocked Email Attachments

Old February 26th 07, 10:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Default Blocked Email Attachments

Frank, I got my husband to use my email account on his laptop (MS XP /
Outlook) and the test email came through with the attachment included i.e. it
worked normally. Meanwhhile, I've put a note out to my email host company
like you suggested.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by no email attachments coming through. Windows
Mail will download any attachment. If they are not downloading then
something besides Windows Mail is blocking them. It is possible for an ISP
to do this but more often it is an anti-virus scanning email. If the
attachment is downloading but not opening, can you save it to your hard
drive and optn it from there?

"Giselle" wrote in message
Frank, as it happens, this option was already un-checked as the default on
my
laptop, so no progress there.

It seems to me that Windows Mail + Vista Home Premium maybe just does not
work?

Maybe I'd be better biting the bullet and seeing if I can afford to buy
Office Standard 2007 and getting Outlook and moving from the installed
Works8.5 software too?

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

"Giselle" wrote in message
I've had Norton Un-installed & pc re-booted, but my problem persists:
no
email attachments coming through.

Back to Tools | Options | Security
Uncheck "Block images and other external content in HTML messages", but
be
aware that this compromises you privacy.

Old February 26th 07, 01:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Giselle" wrote in message
Frank, I got my husband to use my email account on his laptop (MS XP /
Outlook) and the test email came through with the attachment included i.e.
it
worked normally. Meanwhhile, I've put a note out to my email host company
like you suggested.

While viewing such a message hold down the Ctrl key and press F3. Is the
attachment there after the message?

While viewing the message press File | Properties. How big is the message?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old February 26th 07, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Frank, the message says it is 2114Kb which must include the attachment, so
looking into the message further like you suggested I can see a load of
'nonesense' text. Also, my husband has gone onto the account in Orange (ISP)
and the test attachment he sent to me is there but as a "winmail.dat" rather
than NAME.doc. Sounds like we are getting somewhere?

Old February 27th 07, 12:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Jim

Giselle/Frank--I seem to be having the exact same problem. I'm getting some
emails coming through with attachments and others just come through without
(even though I know they had an attachment). I had my client cc my wife's
laptop and resend and she recieved the attachment and I didn't. But...my
wife then forwarded that message to me and the attachment came through. I
too just bought a new pc with Vista and Windows mail. I think it's strange
to be having the exact same issue. I've turned off the security settings and
McAfee Security for the email, which came with it, but am still concerned
that that isn't the issue, since it allowed the attachment one time but not
in an earlier email.

Old February 27th 07, 03:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Giselle" wrote in message
Frank, the message says it is 2114Kb which must include the attachment, so
looking into the message further like you suggested I can see a load of
'nonesense' text. Also, my husband has gone onto the account in Orange
(ISP)
and the test attachment he sent to me is there but as a "winmail.dat"
rather
than NAME.doc. Sounds like we are getting somewhere?

Aha!!!

I would bet money that the message was sent from Outlook (not Outlook
Express) using Outlook's RTF format. WinMail will never be able to find the
attachment. Ask the sender to please send it again using Plain Text instead
of RTF. If they're on a corporate network the network's Exchange Server
might still change it to RTF and WinMail won't be able to handle it.

Old February 27th 07, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Jim

Thanks Frank. This not a new client and I've received emails from her before
without an issue (before I bought the new pc with Vista and WinMail over the
weekend). Is this specifically a WinMail issue, and if so, isn't the idea to
make emailing better, not more complicated, as systems get upgraded? I would
think this would have to be a WinMail thing since my wife's laptop has good
old Outlook and she got the attachments then could forward on to me. Very
confusing.

Jim

Old February 27th 07, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Jim

One more thing--I just tried to email an attachment from my wife's laptop
using RTF and it came through fine. One thing I didn't mention was that
McAfee security came with the pc. I ended up disabling the email and spam
features to see if that would make a difference. I guess I really won't know
until a client says they emailed an attachment and no paper clip shows up...

Jim

Old February 27th 07, 10:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

If you get a winmail.dat attachment, that means the user sent that from
Outlook using RTF format and its not interpretable by WinMail.

HTML format is okay, but NOT RTF format.

steve

Old February 27th 07, 11:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

While looking at the message press Ctrl-F3. One of the parts of the message
will have content
Content Type: ms-tnef
as part of the header for that part. That means it was sent from Outlook
using RTF. This can ONLY be translated by Outlook or another Exchange
program. Not Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail Desktop,
Eudora, or any other mail program I've heard of.

Old February 27th 07, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
brian jackson

I'd like to jump in here on a tangentially related subject. I understand that
exchange based email clients are the only ones that understand TNEF. I am
trying to send to recipients who will be using outlook express. I am using
outlook 2000 on an exchange server.

I am following the instructions on MS KB #241538, setting globally to plain
text or HTML does not change it, setting per message to plain text or HTML
does not change it. The KB referenced also has a per recipient method. I do
not see any such checkbox when I follow the instructions.

Any help is appreciated.