Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Blocked Email Attachments

Old February 27th 07, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Default Blocked Email Attachments

The Exchange server itself can override the Outlook settings. It sounds as
if Exchange is only set to sent with the tnef (RTF). You might try checking
with whoever administers that server and see if they can turn that off.

steve

"brian jackson" wrote in message
I'd like to jump in here on a tangentially related subject. I understand
that
exchange based email clients are the only ones that understand TNEF. I am
trying to send to recipients who will be using outlook express. I am using
outlook 2000 on an exchange server.

I am following the instructions on MS KB #241538, setting globally to
plain
text or HTML does not change it, setting per message to plain text or HTML
does not change it. The KB referenced also has a per recipient method. I
do
not see any such checkbox when I follow the instructions.

Any help is appreciated.

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

If you get a winmail.dat attachment, that means the user sent that from
Outlook using RTF format and its not interpretable by WinMail.

HTML format is okay, but NOT RTF format.

steve

"Jim" wrote in message
One more thing--I just tried to email an attachment from my wife's
laptop
using RTF and it came through fine. One thing I didn't mention was
that
McAfee security came with the pc. I ended up disabling the email and
spam
features to see if that would make a difference. I guess I really
won't
know
until a client says they emailed an attachment and no paper clip shows
up...

Jim

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

"Giselle" wrote in message
Frank, the message says it is 2114Kb which must include the
attachment,
so
looking into the message further like you suggested I can see a load
of
'nonesense' text. Also, my husband has gone onto the account in
Orange
(ISP)
and the test attachment he sent to me is there but as a
"winmail.dat"
rather
than NAME.doc. Sounds like we are getting somewhere?

Aha!!!

I would bet money that the message was sent from Outlook (not Outlook
Express) using Outlook's RTF format. WinMail will never be able to
find
the
attachment. Ask the sender to please send it again using Plain Text
instead
of RTF. If they're on a corporate network the network's Exchange
Server
might still change it to RTF and WinMail won't be able to handle it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old March 3rd 07, 03:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Frank, I'm not sure your bet would win the money, but I do think there is
something in what you are thinking.

1. Yes, the Email was sent from Outlook, but its text was specifically sent
in HTML
2. And, the Outlook Options Compose Messages Format is set to ensure that
outgoing emails remained in HTML plus their Internet Format option was set to
convert any RTF Emails into HTML before sending (belt-and-braces, or what).

However, I have noticed that my own Windows Mail did not display any of the
incoming text as HTML - forcing everything into Plain Text. This remained the
case even when the WM Options Read Tab was unchecked for "Read all mesages in
plain text", whether or not the email was sent with an attachment, and after
my computer was re-booted (just in case!).

Nevertheless, you were right in that an email specifically sent as plain
text with an attachment (tried both Word & PDF) did come through OK and I was
able to see and save the attachments.

But, I cannot guarantee that my contacts will send only plain text emails to
me - many may use HTML for better formatting their messages.

What do you think?

Old March 3rd 07, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Giselle" wrote in message
[...]

If you examine the message with Ctrl-F3 while viewing it and any of the
sections contain Content-Type: ms-tnef then it war sent in The Exchange RTF
format. The Exchange server, if there is one, may have converted HTML to
RTF, but the delivered result was the Outlook (Exchange) RTF.

Old March 5th 07, 10:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Frank, I think we've found the cause:

Some how in Outlook (inspite of defaults being set to HTML) my actual email
address had Properties showing 'Use Outlook RTF' rather than 'Let Outlook
Choose Best Option'.

To see this, the email sender opened a new Mail Message (in their Outlook)
and typed in my email address, then highlighted it and right-clicked to
select Properties.

We don't know how this happened because other email addresses in their
Outlook are not selecting RTF (and overriding their defaults) but mine was.
But, there you are, the source has been traced and now changed.

I can now see Attachments with emails sent using Outlook with message text
formatted as HTML.

Thank you for your patience and persistence!!!

Old March 7th 07, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old March 7th 07, 04:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Ericka

Does anyone know how to set up email to send and receive email using my
hotmail account like the old outlook expess?
Please help!!!!

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old March 7th 07, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DGuess

Hotmail is not supported in Windows Mail.

An alternative is Windows Live Mail desktop (still in beta but available for
download and install but you have to convert your Hotmail accout over to the
newer Windows Live Mail (eventually everyone will) and then wait till the
account is activated *up to two weeks).

http://ideas.live.com

Old March 28th 07, 12:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Natalie Vella

i have the same problem and i have just unistalled nortons,my computer is
running better after unistalling nortons but i still can not open attachments
"Giselle" wrote:

Frank - thank you, unfortunately I tried that option before asking for help.
I'm now wondering if Norton could be the problem?

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

"Giselle" wrote in message
I've just bought a pc with Vista Home Premium and Windows Mail: I can get
Word attachments but not PDF.

Any suggestions of a fix to one very non-technical newcomer to this world
of
IT?

Tools | Options | Security
Try unchecking "Do not allow ..." in the Virus Protection area.

Old March 28th 07, 02:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Try removing your mail account and then close and reopen WinMail and then
add it back again.

Also make sure you rebooted after getting rid of Norton.

steve

Old May 12th 07, 04:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bubymae

Hi All.

I amnew to all this so please bear with me if I am not doing it right!.

I was having this same problem (not been able to receive certain
attachments) and I did what Giselle suggested as below - the email sender (
I sent myself and email from my desktop ) opened a new Mail Message (in their
Outlook) and typed in my email address, then highlighted it and right-clicked
to select Properties. Then changed the Internet Format from Send using
Outlook Rich Text Format to "Let Outlook decide the best sending format".
And I was able to receive the file on my Laptop.

Surely, I should not have to do this every time? And it would be a lot of
mucking around to get everyone to send me an email this way?

Is there a setting I can change on my lpatop (which is Vista Premium using
Windows Mail), so that it receives ALL attachments, no matter how they are
sent? or Would I be better off installing Microsoft Outlook and using that
as my Email Programme?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kylie