Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Blocked Email Attachments

Old February 23rd 07, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Default Blocked Email Attachments

I've just bought a pc with Vista Home Premium and Windows Mail: I can get
Word attachments but not PDF.

Any suggestions of a fix to one very non-technical newcomer to this world of
IT?
Old February 23rd 07, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Giselle" wrote in message
I've just bought a pc with Vista Home Premium and Windows Mail: I can get
Word attachments but not PDF.

Any suggestions of a fix to one very non-technical newcomer to this world
of
IT?

Tools | Options | Security
Try unchecking "Do not allow ..." in the Virus Protection area.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old February 23rd 07, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Frank - thank you, unfortunately I tried that option before asking for help.
I'm now wondering if Norton could be the problem?

Old February 24th 07, 04:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Yes. Either disable email scanning or uninstall it. See
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

steve

Old February 24th 07, 10:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Giselle" wrote in message
I've just bought a pc with Vista Home Premium and Windows Mail: I can
get
Word attachments but not PDF.

Any suggestions of a fix to one very non-technical newcomer to this
world
of
IT?

Tools | Options | Security
Try unchecking "Do not allow ..." in the Virus Protection area.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Answer in newsgroup. Don't expect an answer to email.

This is usually caused by an anti-spam program or an anti-virus set to scan
email.

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
protection. After doing so it may be necessary to reset the server names in
OE.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out. Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. Norton invented email
scanning and here's what they say:

"Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...256c7500723cf0

"...your computer is protected if Auto-Protect is enabled. Auto-Protect
scans any incoming files, including email attachments, when the files are
saved to your hard drive."

"NAV provides multiple layers of protection. Email scanning is just one of
those layers. Even if you are not running Email Scanning, your computer is
protected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments by NAV
Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect will scan any incoming files, including email
attachments, as they are saved to your hard drive. To make sure that
Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled
and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus
definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...= bar_sch_nam

See also
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/n...ntivirus.shtml

So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

Old February 24th 07, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

I've had Norton Un-installed & pc re-booted, but my problem persists: no
email attachments coming through.

Old February 24th 07, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Giselle" wrote in message
I've had Norton Un-installed & pc re-booted, but my problem persists: no
email attachments coming through.

Back to Tools | Options | Security
Uncheck "Block images and other external content in HTML messages", but be
aware that this compromises you privacy.

Old February 25th 07, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Frank, as it happens, this option was already un-checked as the default on my
laptop, so no progress there.

It seems to me that Windows Mail + Vista Home Premium maybe just does not
work?

Maybe I'd be better biting the bullet and seeing if I can afford to buy
Office Standard 2007 and getting Outlook and moving from the installed
Works8.5 software too?

Old February 25th 07, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

I'm not sure what you mean by no email attachments coming through. Windows
Mail will download any attachment. If they are not downloading then
something besides Windows Mail is blocking them. It is possible for an ISP
to do this but more often it is an anti-virus scanning email. If the
attachment is downloading but not opening, can you save it to your hard
drive and optn it from there?

Old February 26th 07, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Giselle

Frank

The email text appears as normal but there is no paper-clip icon to indicate
an attachment even though I know one was attached & sent. I can send emails
with attachments OK so it is only incoming attachments that do not appear.

I'll ask my incoming email people if it could be their server.