UAC should have been a Business class feature, not for Home Users

Old April 12th 08, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
AJR

Default UAC should have been a Business class feature, not for Home Users

Althoug mentioned in SG's post - for "home users" the most important feature
of UAC is IE7 "Protected Mode" (Indicated lower right corner when active).

When downloading any item from the Internet which may affect system or
registry files, proteced mode creates "virtual systen and registry"
locations to first evaluate actions of downloaded items - if UAC consider
them safe then it provides access to the "real" system file locations.

"SG" wrote in message
Have you tried TweakUAC. It suppresses the UAC prompts but leave the

underpinnings of the protection UAC provides intact.

David,

TweakUAC is misleading and your reply isn't exactly true.
It's best described by Ronnie Vernon MS-MVP and wish I had written this
:)

Quote:
This is a fallacy! If UAC cannot notify the user that a program is trying
gain global access to the system, then it is effectively 'disabled'. This
so
called 'quite mode' setting just changes a UAC registry setting to
'automatically elevate everything without prompting'. This means that when
you click to open a file, it is 'assumed' that you already know that the
file will have unrestricted access to your computer.

The main thing that UAC does is to detect when a program or application
tries to access restricted parts of the system or registry that requires
administrator privileges. When a program does this, UAC will prompt the
user
for administrative elevation. Without this prompt, UAC cannot warn the
user,
which means that it is effectively disabled.

Some people will tell you that using "quiet mode" will still let IE run in
protected mode, but this just isn't true. Without the UAC prompt, a
malicious file that runs from a website can run, without restrictions, and
silently.

Another issue is that with UAC prompt disabled, some legitimate procedures
will just silently fail to work properly, with no notification, if you are
logged on with a Standard User account, since the application cannot
notify
you that administrative privileges are required.

Even the developer of the TweakUAC utility includes this statement about
his
product.
"if you are an experienced user and have some understanding of how to
manage
your Windows settings properly, you can safely use the quiet mode of UAC."
In my opinion, if you are an experienced user, the last thing you would
want
to do is turn off the UAC notification.

If you 'are' an experienced user, then you would already know how to
temporarily bypass the UAC prompt to perform just about any procedure in
Vista, such as running programs from an elevated command prompt, or using
an
elevated instance of windows explorer.

The last problem I have with this so-called 'quiet mode' is that it
dissuades developers from programming their applications to run in a least
user privilege environment.
End Quote

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

"David P." wrote in message
Have you tried TweakUAC. It suppresses the UAC prompts but leave the
underpinnings of the protection UAC provides intact.

"Swampthing" wrote in message

Thanks from C-Swampthing.

SNIPPED

Old April 14th 08, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Andy [YaYa]

=?Utf-8?B?U3dhbXB0aGluZw==?= wrote
in :

I tell everyone that buys a Windows Vista PC that when they get the UAC
prompt that's because something is about to happen that's going to change
your system. If you are installing a program then hit Continue, but if it
comes up and you're not sure, err on the side of caution and hit cancel.

I think UAC is a huge help, espically for home users, but that's just my
opinion.

--
-A.