Vista & 3Com

Old February 24th 07, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
robbio

Default Vista & 3Com

Hi at all,

My Vista installationa has a problem with my network card.
Brief description: i have XP prof, i downloaded the windows vista advisor
utility to check my pc hardware, it said it's ok, good. After in another
hard disk I installed Vista, after installation I had not able to connect to
internet. Vista said me (device manger or similar )that the only device it
didn't able to recognize was the network card. It is impossbile for me to
update my Vista.
The model of my network card is
3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX).
The 3Com site has not anymore my model.
The strange thing is that XP said that the network card is ok, the advisor
Vista utlitity said is ok, but after installation Vista said the network
isn't ok.

Anyone have an idea or suggestions?

thank you
robbio

Old February 24th 07, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BSchnur

If you could track down the XP drivers and if you are running Vista 32
bit, you might be able to use those drivers.

--
Barry Schnur
Old February 24th 07, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
robbio

sure,
but this is just a temporary solution,
if i had to reinstall both os for some reasons and i had not cd driver...?

robio

Old February 24th 07, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
robbio

sorry,
i don't understand.
Do you mean to use the same drvier installed on XP?
if yes, are you sure this driver is correct and is right for Vista?

thanks
robbbio

Old February 24th 07, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,alt.os.windows-vista,alt.os.windows-xp
Mhzjunkie

robbio spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself:

Hi at all,

My Vista installationa has a problem with my network card.
Brief description: i have XP prof, i downloaded the windows vista
advisor utility to check my pc hardware, it said it's ok, good. After
in another hard disk I installed Vista, after installation I had not
able to connect to internet. Vista said me (device manger or similar
)that the only device it didn't able to recognize was the network
card. It is impossbile for me to update my Vista.
The model of my network card is
3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC
(3C905C-TX). The 3Com site has not anymore my model.
The strange thing is that XP said that the network card is ok, the
advisor Vista utlitity said is ok, but after installation Vista said
the network isn't ok.

Anyone have an idea or suggestions?

Every time I've installed Vista with that network card in a machine, Vista
hits the internet and gets the drivers for it.

3C905B-TX, but I can't see there being much difference with one being a C
and the other a B.

Of course you'll have to have another way for Vista to get to the internet
to locate the drivers. After that, the card works great. I'm sure there are
driver's out there. You can do the work, if you want them bad enough.

--
Mhzjunkie

1 PRINT "Windows Vista ERROR"
GOTO 1
END

Old February 24th 07, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
robbio

hi,
if found a solution that works.
Download the 3C90x1.exe from 3Com site, expand it into a folder. After tell
Vista to search there for the network card driver. After that you can
connect to internet. If you try to check updates from microsoft site you
will see that there is an update for 3com driver.

thanks
robbio

Old February 25th 07, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-vista
Mhzjunkie

robbio spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself:

hi,
if found a solution that works.
Download the 3C90x1.exe from 3Com site, expand it into a folder.
After tell Vista to search there for the network card driver. After
that you can connect to internet. If you try to check updates from
microsoft site you will see that there is an update for 3com driver.

Glad you got it worked out sir.

--
Mhzjunkie

1 PRINT "Windows Vista ERROR"
GOTO 1
END

Old February 25th 07, 04:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BSchnur

sorry,
i don't understand.
Do you mean to use the same drvier installed on XP?
if yes, are you sure this driver is correct and is right for Vista?

I'm not sure, just suggesting an approach: My original post (emphasis
added):

If you could track down the XP drivers and if you are running Vista 32
bit, you *might* be able to use those drivers

Note, there is a fair chance that you'd need the driver inf file for
the install as well (again, not sure of this).

I've not run into driver problems with the motherboards I use that have
embedded NIC's (Realtek, nVidia, Intel and Broadcom). Then again, my
'recover' NIC if the install doesn't find a NIC is an Intel 10/100 --
they have worked for a long time and still do.

--
Barry Schnur
Old February 27th 07, 01:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alan

Default 3com

Most hardware manufacturers are lagging behind in writing drivers for Vista. If your product is no longer supported, it's time to go shopping and buy a new card. My 3com home connect webcam falls into the same category. It's too old and they won't be supplying any updated drivers. I'll find a friend that still uses xp and needs a webcam rather than just trash it because it works fine like so many other old hardware items from previous upgrades. Funny how we save all our old hardware items. Packrat syndrome is a terrible thing!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com