Dial-up modem

Old February 24th 07, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neil

Default Dial-up modem

I just built my new PC and included a Creative dial-up v.92 PCI modem (just
in case I ever have problems with my proper connection, or if I ever fancied
sending a fax). But there are no Vista drivers for it, and there won't be
in the future either. I could swap the modem with the one from the older
computer. That machine uses XP so I have a driver for the Creative modem
for that machine. The one that's in there is a ten-year-old, no-name card
that works in XP using the "Generic SoftK56" driver built into the XP OS.

Is there an equivalent driver built into Vista that I could use with either
the Creative modem, or the older card?

Thanks.

Neil

Old February 24th 07, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

I have the same modem. I finally took the damn thing out and threw it away.
It was only for backup anyway, in case the DSL went down. Well, that hasn't
occurred for over 2 years now so..........

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Old February 24th 07, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
johnm

"Neil" wrote in message
I just built my new PC and included a Creative dial-up v.92 PCI modem (just
in case I ever have problems with my proper connection, or if I ever
fancied sending a fax).

Same here, just built a new machine and tossed in a trusty old standby USR
PCI just in case, and for the same reasons you do.
(for faxing mainly... as my cable broadband is pretty reliable these days)

Whoops - doesn't work in Vista, no drivers.
That's funny, similar units have worked without problem in every MS OS since
Win95 & NT4.

Yea, I know - this is USR's fault...

Doesn't matter anyway, MS in their infinite wisdom pulled fax support from
the very version they KNEW would be their top seller.

Yea, I know, this is MY fault...

(is there an echo in here...?)

Old February 24th 07, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dev

/Neil/ said:

I just built my new PC and included a Creative dial-up v.92 PCI modem (just
in case I ever have problems with my proper connection, or if I ever fancied
sending a fax). But there are no Vista drivers for it, and there won't be
in the future either. I could swap the modem with the one from the older
computer. That machine uses XP so I have a driver for the Creative modem
for that machine. The one that's in there is a ten-year-old, no-name card
that works in XP using the "Generic SoftK56" driver built into the XP OS.

Is there an equivalent driver built into Vista that I could use with either
the Creative modem, or the older card?

If you truly need a modem, which I do for faxing, it might prove easiest
to simply buy a new one that works with Vista.

Here, it's the Intel 536EP, using the 4.77.8.3 driver that plug-n-play
automatically installed (after first being unable to locate it). The
driver software included with the modem - 4.77.8.0 - crashed Vista on
closing.

As I recall, the modem price was about $15 three years ago. It may
still be available...or not...but there are others, no doubt, that are
Vista certified.
Old February 24th 07, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Neil

The Intel 536P works with Vista.. dump your Creative modem for the Intel
536..

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old March 17th 07, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jim

Default Intel 536EP Modem

I have the Intel 536EP modem, but plug and play definitely does NOT install the Vista 4.77.8.3 drivers. You need a separate Vista connection to Windows Vista Update get the drivers. The intel modem will NOT connect Vista to the Internet.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old March 17th 07, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Jim wrote:
I have the Intel 536EP modem, but plug and play definitely does NOT
install the Vista 4.77.8.3 drivers. You need a separate Vista
connection to Windows Vista Update get the drivers. The intel modem
will NOT connect Vista to the Internet.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Even if you have the connection you can't always get the driver. I have a
cable connection, installed Vista which alerted me to the driver
incompatibility issue and told me an updated driver was available. I
clicked the option to download that driver, it opened a Vista Windows Update
Window, searched for available updates for my system of which two were
hardware drivers but neither was my Intel 536EP modem. I had this problem
all through the beta. I know others have managed to get the driver but I've
had no success, it's not available at Intel's site and I've been unable to
find it anywhere else. If I click Windows Update on the Start menu it
simply opens the same Window and follows the same procedure with no luck.

A separate Window with instructions for searching Windows Update for the
proper modem driver also opens but you can't follow those steps as the
instructions seem to be for the Pre-Vista Windows Update site. The things
it tells you to click in order to find the driver are simply not on the
page.
--
Michael Solomon

Old March 17th 07, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dev

/Michael Solomon/ said:
Jim wrote:
[...]

The 536EP works here, using a driver downloaded from the Net - not from
Windows Update or from Intel.

Enter View Basic Info windows key+pause, then click the Device Manager
link at the top-left of the window. Expand the modem branch (click on
the +) and double-click the 536EP entry. Under the DRIVER tab click
"update", then "search automatically for updated driver
software"...which _finally_ succeeded.

Initially nothing was found via this method. The next day it succeeded.
If it reports that the best driver is already installed, try an
UNinstall first. The 4.77.8.0 driver may work, but may blue-screen at
shutdown. 4.77.8.3 (5/1/06) is the correct driver.
Old March 18th 07, 12:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

dev wrote:
/Michael Solomon/ said:
Jim wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Dev. That was what was recommended during the beta as well but for
some reason, it didn't work for me. While I did try this since Vista went
gold, I didn't retry as you suggest.

Right now, I'm waiting for a driver for my HP 1018 Laserjet. When HP pops
with those my plan was to return to Vista as then all my peripherals would
be supported. It still bugs me a bit that it's seen by Vista and reports
there's an update but doesn't list it when Windows Update searches. Yup.
4.77.8.0 blue screens on shut down and that driver simply wouldn't work for
me in Vista anyway.

If all else fails, I have USR hardware modems installed on two other
systems; the Intel is a "soft modem," and I'll see if I can get one of my
USR modems to work with the Vista setup.

Thenks, Dev.

--
Michael Solomon