Hard drive keeps showing less space

Old February 25th 07, 06:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
compboy

Default Hard drive keeps showing less space

I have a brand new hp pavilion with vista home premium, It has a samsung
250GB harddrive. Yesterday morning it said that I had 183GB free space, last
night it said I had 175GB Free space, and today it is at 170GB free space. I
haven't installed anything, downloaded anything, and havent used the iternet
much. Any ideas as to why this is?...Thanks!
Old February 25th 07, 09:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lilo Lentz

Sounds like maybe you have intruders on your machine.
Do a scan for - well everything - and don't be logged on online while you do
it.

Be sure to have firewall, antivirus etc installed before you get online
again...

Old February 25th 07, 09:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

This is pretty much normal. The system is creating restore points, caching
files, expanding the pagefile and probably creating a hibernation file ... I
would not get too worried about it.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old February 25th 07, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
compboy

Thanks for the quick responses. I have have a fire wall and Norton Antivirus
2007. So my comp is supposedly clean. Will my hd run out of space? Or is
there a limit to how much it will loose?..Thanks again.

Old February 25th 07, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rocco Moe

R.G. Harper is right. But you won't run out of space. There's a limit to how
much space shadow copies, termporary Internet files, and all the rest of the
stuff that can use. When you hit that limit, old stuff is automatically
deleted to make room for newer stuff. It'll never be a significant portion
of your available space.

Old February 25th 07, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

You'll see a chunk vanish in the first week or so and then things will slow
down appreciably. Restore points and other things will continue to eat up
small amounts of space but the biggest gulp comes in the earliest days.

Old July 17th 08, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PATCHWORK

Small amounts?
I have 100gb of space eaten up, and you say ALL of that is recovery points
and temporary files? sounds weird to me.

I need help on how to solve this, please.

Old July 17th 08, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

Vista, by default, uses 15% of the drive space for restore points.
To see how much is allocated & used...

1. On the Start menu, click "All Programs".
2. Click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator" from the
shortcut menu.
4. When the User Account Control dialog appears, click "Continue".
5. Now run "VSSADMIN list shadowstorage" (without the quotes)

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview