Search for files with parenthesis in name

Old February 25th 07, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Erik Wikström

Default Search for files with parenthesis in name

How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering
(2) gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred,
while there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
escape them but no luck.

--
Erik Wikström
Old February 25th 07, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke

Erik Wikström wrote:
How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering
(2) gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred,
while there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
escape them but no luck.

--
Erik Wikström

What about enclosing the search in quotes, like "(2)"? Does that work?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old February 25th 07, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Erik Wikström

Old February 26th 07, 06:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Erik Wikström

On 2007-02-26 11:52, Bob Hallsworth wrote:
"Erik Wikström" wrote in message
How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering (2)
gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred, while
there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
escape them but no luck.

If there are spaces around those, add them withing the quotes. Works
for me!
" (2) "

Nope, no such luck, but for some reason the number of files found was
about halved.

--
Erik Wikström
Old February 28th 07, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Wayne Hertz

Use XYplorer (or some other good explorer replacement) for searching and say
bye-bye to such problems.

Old March 3rd 07, 03:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Andrew Leigh

It's crazy not to allow people to search for the parentheses. The problem
arose for me as a result of two failed file transfers. In both cases, the new
files were renamed with a (1) or (2) suffix. So I have thousands of these
extraneous files on my computer to get rid of. Or I could clean the hard disk
and do another file transfer, but it would be far simpler if I could simply
delete all files with a (1) or (2) suffix.

Oh, and I just tried installing XYplorer on my computer (solely to deal with
this issue). The program crashed.
Old March 17th 07, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller MVP

Finally found out the way:

In the Search box, type:

name:~"*(2)*"

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

Old October 13th 10, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Amir Deilami

Default Nope.

Why the hell does everything new SUCK so bad?

"*(2)*" didn't work, " (2)" didn't work, nothing works.

Explorer is gone retarded. It can't see parenthesis, neither can distinguish _ and space.

Microsoft has lost their mind. I'm ****ed off man...what the hell?

Anyone with any other cure? I'm doing this for the same reason everyone else is doing it. I want to delete files I just copied. Help me out guys.

On Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:25 AM Erik-wikstro wrote:

How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering
(2) gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred,
while there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
escape them but no luck.

--
Erik Wikstr?m

On 2007-02-25 16:09, Malke wrote:

Nope

--
Erik Wikstr?m

On Friday, March 02, 2007 10:06 PM Andrew Leig wrote:

It's crazy not to allow people to search for the parentheses. The problem
arose for me as a result of two failed file transfers. In both cases, the new
files were renamed with a (1) or (2) suffix. So I have thousands of these
extraneous files on my computer to get rid of. Or I could clean the hard disk
and do another file transfer, but it would be far simpler if I could simply
delete all files with a (1) or (2) suffix.

Oh, and I just tried installing XYplorer on my computer (solely to deal with
this issue). The program crashed.

On Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:13 AM Keith Miller MVP wrote:

Finally found out the way:

In the Search box, type:

name:~"*(2)*"

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

SharePoint Lists In Excel Via VSTO
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-via-vsto.aspx

Old January 20th 11, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
David Crewdson

To recursively delete these (1) files open a command window (start...Run...cmd) and do the following:

cd c:\
dir /s *"(1)"* (/s means recursive)

Make sure these are all the files you want to delete, then:

del /s *"(1)"* (/s means recursive)

NOTES:

1) If "Run" is not listed under Start (Windows 7), right-click the lower-left Windows-icon - Properties - Start Menu - Customize - check [ ] Run command

2) To make the initial DIR listing more readable, you can also try:

dir /a:-d/b/s *"(1)"*

/a:-d - Skips directories
/b - Bare information (no headers or summary)
/s - Recursive

On Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:04 AM Amir Deilami wrote:

Why the hell does everything new SUCK so bad?

"*(2)*" didn't work, " (2)" didn't work, nothing works.

Explorer is gone retarded. It can't see parenthesis, neither can distinguish _ and space.

Microsoft has lost their mind. I'm ****ed off man...what the hell?

Anyone with any other cure? I'm doing this for the same reason everyone else is doing it. I want to delete files I just copied. Help me out guys.

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Creating Google Motion Charts from Excel data
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...xcel-data.aspx