Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Can't Delete Message in Outbox

Old February 26th 07, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bernice

Default Can't Delete Message in Outbox

I have a message that appears to be "blocking" my other messages from being
sent. This is what it says in the body of the message:

"Message could not be displayed
Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again."

I have tons of memory and disk space (brand new computer with 160G hard
drive and 2 Ghz RAM). My OLD computer had/has no problem with sending this
little .jpg message.

When I try to delete the e-mail message I receive the following message:

"An unknown error has occurred."

I click the "OK" button and now it says it is deleting the message but it
has shown that message for more than ten minutes now. I seriously doubt it
is really deleting the message. Can anyone help me get this message deleted
from my Outbox?
Old February 26th 07, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DGuess

"Bernice" .(donotspam) wrote in message
[...]

You will have to delete it from the Outbox folder via Windows Explorer.
Tools | Options | Advanced tab | Manintenance button | Store Folders button.
Note the location of the messages stores.

Close Windows Mail.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder location you found in the
Store Folder dialog.

Locate the Outbox and find the message that won't send and delete it.

Old February 26th 07, 03:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bernice

I did what you suggested and low and behold the message doesn't even show up
with the other messages in that location! Of course when I open Windows Mail
up again in the hopes it is now miraculously gone it is still there. It is
evil I tell you. EVIL! ;-) I just don't know what to do. I haven't been
able to send mail now for ten days and I'm getting desperate here.

Any other ideas?

Old February 26th 07, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DGuess

Close WinMail and MOVE the whole mail folder.

Open WinMail and let it create a new store.

You can go thru the old messages and drag and drop them into WinMail (not
the folder).

Should solve it till a solution is found out why it does it. Don't think
it's just in Windows Mail but it's also in Windows Live Mail desktop beta as
well. Messages get stuck in the Outbox on it as well.

Old February 26th 07, 04:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bernice

I don't mean to be ignorant but I'm confused. Where do I move the whole mail
folder to and are we talking about the entire WinMail folder or just the
Outbox folder?

When you say it will create a new store, what do you mean? And if I have
moved my messages somewhere else, how do I open them and drag them into
WinMail? Through Windows Explorer? Sorry to be so uninformed about this.

Old February 26th 07, 05:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DGuess

"Bernice" .(donotspam) wrote in message
I don't mean to be ignorant but I'm confused. Where do I move the whole
mail
folder to and are we talking about the entire WinMail folder or just the
Outbox folder?

Apparently from what I've been seeing and getting requests in email, blowing
it all away and letting it start over seems to be best. If you deleted just
the Outbox, the back up database kicks into action and of course mixed
results.

When you say it will create a new store, what do you mean? And if I have
moved my messages somewhere else, how do I open them and drag them into
WinMail? Through Windows Explorer? Sorry to be so uninformed about this.

Windows Mail will create the new store and you can drag and drop the old
emails from Windows Explorer into Windows Mail. See the info below.

Windows Mail has a newer (to them) form of database. Each email is stored
separately.

Do the following:

1) Open Control Panel then select Folder Options.
a) click on the Views tab
b) Select "Show hidden files and folders"
c) Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
d) click APPLY then OK.
e) Close Control Panel

2) From Windows Mail
a) Click on the Tools menu
b) click on Options
c) click on the Advanced tab
d) click the Maintenance button
e) click the Store Folders button.
f) make a note of the location of the message stores. It will be
something like:
C:\Users\account name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
g) close Windows Mail

3) Open Windows Explorer

When it opens, you will see a small black triangle next to the user account
name. Click it to collapse it.

For the following, the triangle will not appear till you put the mouse over
the element in question.

Move the mouse to the "Computer" line. A triangle will appear, click on it
to expand it.

You should see something like "Local Disk (C"

Click on the triangle to expand it.

Locate "Users" and click on the triangle next to it to expand it.

Locate username and click on the triangle next to it to expand it.

Locate "AppData" and click on the triangle next to it to expand it.

Locate "Local" and click on the triangle next to it to expand it.
Locate "Microsoft" and click on the triangle next to it to expand it.

Now, in the right window pane, locate Windows Mail.
Click on it.

In the left window pane, scroll upward till you see "Local Disk (C"

Now, in the right window pane, hold them left mouse button down on the
Windows Mail folder.
Drag it to the "Local Disk (C" and release the mouse button.
Select MOVE Here.......

Now, this may take a bit to get done, depending upon how much mail is there.
Give it time.

Now, when it's done, create a new folder name Windows Mail to replace the
moved one in the
C:\Users\account name\AppData\Local\Microsoft folder.

Now start Windows Mail.
It will be empty but that's no biggie.

Create a couple of folders in Windows Mail and name them Old Mail, Old
Sent.
Click on the Old Mail folder to open it.

Resize Windows Mail so you can see both Windows Explorer and Windows Mail.

In the Windows Mail folder you will see a Local Folders folder, click the
triangle to expand it.

Locate the Inbox folder.
In this folder you will see a lot of .eml files. These are the old emails.
Drag and drop ONLY the .eml files to the Old Mail folder in Windows Mail.

Do similar for Sent Items to the Old Sent folder.

Now, see if Windows Mail works for you.

Old February 26th 07, 01:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Try my WMUtil program first and compact and then repair the database. See
if that fixes it.

www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/

steve

Old February 26th 07, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Well the sledgehammer solution is to wipe out the database and its backup.

Delete the WindowsMail.MSMessageStore file in the Windows Mail directory and
then delete the backup copy in the \backup\new subdirectory and then try
starting it.

steve

news

Old February 27th 07, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bernice

Does this mean I would lose all of my folders and messages? And are what I
am calling "folders" what you guys are calling "stores"?