My Upgrade experience

Old October 1st 06, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Guest

Default My Upgrade experience

First of all I was able to install the new prerelease Vista but very little
worked. I could never install the last Beta version on my computer. Very
little worked on this version including Quicken 2000, MSOffice 2000, free
AVG 7.1, Zone Alarm, my Epson printer(CX5200), my modem, Nero 6.6 etc. did
not work.
I tried to download a file and that didn't work. I hope this is not the case
with the final release of Vista, and of course if that is true I will NEVER
buy it.

Please comment.

Old October 1st 06, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Paul Smith

wrote in message
First of all I was able to install the new prerelease Vista but very
little worked. I could never install the last Beta version on my computer.
Very little worked on this version including Quicken 2000, MSOffice 2000,
free AVG 7.1, Zone Alarm, my Epson printer(CX5200), my modem, Nero 6.6
etc. did not work.
I tried to download a file and that didn't work. I hope this is not the
case with the final release of Vista, and of course if that is true I will
NEVER buy it.

Heard similar reports of Quicken not working, not sure what the deal is with
that. If AVG isn't working on this build try Avast , I wouldn't bother with
Zone Alarm, at least until they have a compatible version, the Windows
Firewall is rock solid and won't give you half as much grief as Zone Alarm
(even when it's working) Nero is a known issue at this point.

Have you googled for Vista drivers for your printer and modem?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Old October 2nd 06, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rock

wrote

First of all I was able to install the new prerelease Vista but very
little worked. I could never install the last Beta version on my computer.
Very little worked on this version including Quicken 2000, MSOffice 2000,
free AVG 7.1, Zone Alarm, my Epson printer(CX5200), my modem, Nero 6.6
etc. did not work.
I tried to download a file and that didn't work. I hope this is not the
case with the final release of Vista, and of course if that is true I will
NEVER buy it.

Quicken 2000 is quite old. The latest version is 2007. I have 2006 and it
works fine in Vista.

For AV both Avast and the latest version of AVG work. For the printer it's
up to the manufacturer to provide a driver that is compatible with Vista.
The same thing happened with printers and scanners from 98 to XP.

Can't comment on the downloading problem since you didn't give any info on
how you tried to download using what means to connect to the internet.

--

Rock [ MVP User/Shell]

Old October 2nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Will

Printer and scanner drivers seem to be something the manufacturers are
behind with. I'm sure eventually they'll catch up
The funny thing about printers is that my newest printer (Lexmark Z707) will
not install with any version of vista, And yet the oldest Printers I have
(Lexmark Z12 and a Lexmark Optra R+ laser printer) worked fine and installed
without any issues.
Which seems strange that vista has the drivers for the older models and not
the newer ones.

wrote

Old October 2nd 06, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
moto

try AVG 7.5
it's a beta that works with vista and they give you free keys to unlock all
of the features.

DIV"Paul Smith" > wrote in
message .../DIV