Hard drive recognition

Old February 27th 07, 06:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bull 40

Default Hard drive recognition

I just built a new computer with a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 motherboard, AMD
Athlon 64 X 2 dual core processor, 2 GB's DDR@ RAM, two western digital 160
GB hard drives, a Nvidia GeForce 88oo GTX graphics card and Windows 64 bit
Ultimate O/S. The hard drives are connected to the JSATAll0 and JSATAll1
ports on the mother board. When I boot the system I see the system recognizes
the two hard drives and when I go into the device manager it shows two hard
drives and both working properly but when I open "My computer" I only see 1
hard drive (C) and my DVD drive(D). How do I get the "my computer" area to
recognize the second hard drive like it recognizes the C and D drives? Help
me I'm losing my mind here! Thanks Larry
Old February 27th 07, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Anna

"Bull 40" Bull wrote in message
[...]

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
You need to go to the Gigabyte web site and download drives for the SATA
controller on your motherboard.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

Bull 40:
I don't think the lack of a SATA HDD controller drivers is the cause of your
problem.

NOW YOU DO UNDERSTAND THAT THE SECONDARY SATA HDD MUST BE
PARTITIONED/FORMATTED BEFORE IT WILL BE RECOGNIZED IN THE SYSTEM, RIGHT?

Do this...

1. Disconnect the secondary SATA HDD from the system and boot only to your
boot drive. I assume it boots without incident and the system functions
properly, right?

2. Shut down and reconnect your secondary SATA HDD. Make absolutely certain
you've properly connected both the signal & power cable to the drive and the
signal cable is securely connected to the motherboard's SATA connector. And
you're absolutely sure you've connected the drive to the proper SATA
connector, right? And you've tried a different motherboard SATA connector,
right? Can you try another SATA signal cable?

3. Access Disk Management. Is that secondary HDD listed there? Maybe without
a drive letter? Can you assign a drive letter?

4. Still no go? Have you checked out the drive with the WD diagnostic
utility? If not, do so.
Anna