FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS

Old March 2nd 08, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
RevertingToXP

Default FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS

I too have had this problem with Vista, even with a wired network. I have
tried many many fixes suggested on the web & am about to revert to XP. I've
wasted enough time on this. I've ready a lot of post from a lot of people who
have had this problem & I even know others who have it - it seems really
prevalent, but still I can't find a solution.
Not impressed
Old March 2nd 08, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bob F.[_4_]

"RevertingToXP" wrote in message
I too have had this problem with Vista, even with a wired network. I have
tried many many fixes suggested on the web & am about to revert to XP.
I've
wasted enough time on this. I've ready a lot of post from a lot of people
who
have had this problem & I even know others who have it - it seems really
prevalent, but still I can't find a solution.
Not impressed

Please include enough of the previous message(s) so that others trying to
follow this thread know what you are talking about. Also please try to
“edit out” the non relevant portions. It helps everyone. Go to:
Tools Options Send check - “Include message in reply”

--
BobF.

Old March 17th 08, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Mysty723

Well I wrote a Post earlier to inform people how I fixed my Internet Issues
with Vista; so Ill make this Post Short and Sweet. I went out and Bought a
Certified for Vista Router; since then I have not had 1 random Drop; nor have
I lost my Home Network; I used to have to reboot to get my Network Connection
Back; and I spent weeks applying hotfixes; taking advice from these Forums;
etc. I finally came to the Conclusion that it made sense to get a New Router
to take advantage of the Vista Options. It was an easy Fix; granted I would
have preferred not to spend the money on a new router; but after a little
over a week of a Constant Internet Connection not to mention the increased
speed it was well worth every $.

"Bill Wood" wrote:

For all of you "techies" out there, before I even go through the fixes, do
NOT waste your time with the Alternate IP configuration options on the
wireless adapter. THEY FLAT DON'T WORK AT ALL in Vista.

If you have a wireless access point, and you KNOW it works on other
computers, but you get a "local only" message from Vista, the built-in DHCP
router in your Wireless Access Point probably is NOT compatible with Vista...
Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work for
all of them!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

If this does not work, and you still get the "local only" message, but you
KNOW the access point works with XP wireless, etc., then MANUALLY SET the IP
address info. Unfortunately, if you have to manually set the IP info, you
will have to delete those settings with other wireless access points. And
let me say one more time, DO NOT waste your time with the Alternate IP
configuration, it doesn't work!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152/en-us (affects mostly wireless on
laptops)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929847/en-us (Vista and XP together in a
wireless environment)

If your Gateway is on a different subnet (usually locations with large
numbers of wireless spots such as businesses, universities, etc.) then you
may have connection problems that FORCE you to manually configure your IP
settings on the adapter. This is a FIX for XP SP2 that doesn't look like it
made it into Vista, so, if you are experiencing this problem, LIKE ME, then
you have no choice but to manually configure the IP settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822596

If you are having periodic connection problems (and you know they didn't
exist before), Vista has changed the Automitic IP Address discovery timing to
be almost instantaneous. So if you have an older wireless access point, or
one that has long broadcast / "handshake" times, then you may have trouble
because of this "improvement."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931550/en-us (MS Does not provide a
solution, only info. Like the other options, you will likely have to
MANUALLY set up your IP info in the adapter, or purchase a new wireless
access point.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929824/en-us (problems if you have the SAME
Gateway address as the one assigned to the computer you are trying to connect
to the Wireless spot).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To see your adapter info, use a command prompt window (Start Run type in
CMD) and then type:

ipconfig /all

Find your network adapter and write down the Gateway, DNS, IP Address, and
other settings.

Also, go to the EVENT VIEWER and see if there are any messages related to
you trying to connect to your wireless adapter at the times you tried to
connect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regardless of the problem, if you KNOW the wireless spot works, and you had
little or no trouble on XP, try MANUALLY setting up the IP info for that
wireless access point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm VERY disappointed at how many problems there are with the Vista wireless
networking. Especially when SO MANY of the early Vista users are exactly the
same customer base that USES WIRELESS!

Old March 17th 08, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_539_]

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Old March 20th 08, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
[email protected]

On Feb 17, 3:02 pm, Frustrated at wits end Frustrated at wits
wrote:
I've worked through several reinstallations of Vista on this one, configured
the registry key so as to not broadcast DHCP, I've manually configured my IP
to be an IP on my network, and none of it works. I've set the network for
wireless to be private.

I show the adapter as being connected, excellent signal strength, I have no
3rd party firewall software installed. When I ping my gateway with a manual
IP assigned it replies with the local IP I picked saying "Destination host
unreachable" - certainly to me seems like it's a problem within Vista
someplace. I have had numerous XP wireless machine connected to this without
a problem.

I'm even running Vista SP1

"Bill Wood" wrote:
[...]

Here's what worked for me. Using Dlink plug in usb wireless on new
Dell machine running windows home premium and a d-link router.
o Disable the broadcast DHCP using the registry edit fix in the ms
knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
o Disable TCP/IP V6
o Manually assign an IP number and DNS to the connection;
o Tell the router to manually assign same IP number to MAC address of
wireless adapter
o Revert from 128 bit WEP to 64bit (I suspect this was not necessary)
o (AND!) flash the latest firmware on the router.

Elapsed time nearly 2 hours... (mostly figuring things to try!)

Sure is amazing one has to do this! Perhaps some of the steps are not
necessary but I am not going to fiddle to find out.
Old October 18th 08, 11:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
GordonK

Buying a new Vista compatible router may well have resolved your problems but
it is incredibly wasteful if we all had to go out and buy a new router simply
because MS had rewritten their networking stack.

The right thing here is for MS to FIX this issue and TBH they should remove
the Vista stack and put the XP (WORKING!) one in in it's place....don't try
to fix (they dont seem to be anyway) something that is just plain broke.

One other thing I know of worth trying is to ensure that your Power
Management on your desktops/laptops ensure the Wireless (and USB if USB
Wirelss) adaptor is set to maximum performance and NEVER allow the machine to
switch it off to conserve power....that will help the dropouts but is not a
complete solution.

Old October 20th 08, 12:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Most Router manufacturer offer a firmware upgrade to make their Router
compatible with new major OS' when they come out.
If such an upgrade is not offered it usually indicates the device based on
old chipset that can not be upgraded any more.
In such case it is a good idea to get a new Router to begin with.
Decent routers can be found for $20 and up. Attaching inflated societal
verbal value to pieces of silicone and plastic does not serve any purposes
when its involves sums of money that are less than month fee for an Internet
connection.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Old October 20th 08, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
GordonK

Sorry but i have to disagree with that Jack...try coming outside the USA and
buy a quality router for $20 (That's £10 here in the UK) - Try something
closer to $140 for a good quality router - like Netgear.

Also with a lot of homes on Cable Modems they can't upgrade Firmware in the
way you suggest.

In my own case using the most predominant ISP in the UK (British telecom)
you have to wait on BT upgrading their HOmehub - or buy a Netgear!

You are fortunate indeed to find yourself living in such a society where
things like this cost so little.

As I said before if my router worked with XP (and Mac's and Itouch and other
UPnP servers) and struggles with ONLY Vista then it is unrealistic to expect
users to upgrade routers (basic communications kit - unspecialised) to meet
the needs of Vista. Vista is expensive enough as it is... $300 over here....

I am sorry I cannot agree with your post about costs to upgrade- it does not
recognise the commercial situation outside the US.