FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS

Old February 27th 07, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bill Wood

Default FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS

For all of you "techies" out there, before I even go through the fixes, do
NOT waste your time with the Alternate IP configuration options on the
wireless adapter. THEY FLAT DON'T WORK AT ALL in Vista.

If you have a wireless access point, and you KNOW it works on other
computers, but you get a "local only" message from Vista, the built-in DHCP
router in your Wireless Access Point probably is NOT compatible with Vista...
Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work for
all of them!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

If this does not work, and you still get the "local only" message, but you
KNOW the access point works with XP wireless, etc., then MANUALLY SET the IP
address info. Unfortunately, if you have to manually set the IP info, you
will have to delete those settings with other wireless access points. And
let me say one more time, DO NOT waste your time with the Alternate IP
configuration, it doesn't work!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152/en-us (affects mostly wireless on
laptops)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929847/en-us (Vista and XP together in a
wireless environment)

If your Gateway is on a different subnet (usually locations with large
numbers of wireless spots such as businesses, universities, etc.) then you
may have connection problems that FORCE you to manually configure your IP
settings on the adapter. This is a FIX for XP SP2 that doesn't look like it
made it into Vista, so, if you are experiencing this problem, LIKE ME, then
you have no choice but to manually configure the IP settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822596

If you are having periodic connection problems (and you know they didn't
exist before), Vista has changed the Automitic IP Address discovery timing to
be almost instantaneous. So if you have an older wireless access point, or
one that has long broadcast / "handshake" times, then you may have trouble
because of this "improvement."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931550/en-us (MS Does not provide a
solution, only info. Like the other options, you will likely have to
MANUALLY set up your IP info in the adapter, or purchase a new wireless
access point.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929824/en-us (problems if you have the SAME
Gateway address as the one assigned to the computer you are trying to connect
to the Wireless spot).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To see your adapter info, use a command prompt window (Start Run type in
CMD) and then type:

ipconfig /all

Find your network adapter and write down the Gateway, DNS, IP Address, and
other settings.

Also, go to the EVENT VIEWER and see if there are any messages related to
you trying to connect to your wireless adapter at the times you tried to
connect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regardless of the problem, if you KNOW the wireless spot works, and you had
little or no trouble on XP, try MANUALLY setting up the IP info for that
wireless access point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm VERY disappointed at how many problems there are with the Vista wireless
networking. Especially when SO MANY of the early Vista users are exactly the
same customer base that USES WIRELESS!
Old February 27th 07, 04:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Barb Bowman

what router and firmware version are you using?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old February 27th 07, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Papa

Thank you, Bill.

As you know, many (if not all) of us are experiencing problems getting
wireless networking to function properly with the new Vista operating
system. Hopefully one of your suggestions will provide us with a roadmap to
a solution.

Much appreciated,

Papa

Old February 27th 07, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bill Wood

Thanks Barb for your interest. However my specific issue is not as much with
the access point as it is with an XP SP2 "fix" that doesn't look like it made
it into Vista.

My Gateway is on a totally different subnet. I'm also in a working
environment, in a large corporation, with about 30 access points. NONE of
them are broadcasting SSID's (no problem there), and they are all using WEP
128. The Wireless access points are high-end Cisco's... Like I said though,
based on the messages I'm getting, and some of the testing I've done, it is
specifically related to not being able to determine the Gateway when it is on
a different subnet.

Old February 27th 07, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Barb Bowman

never saw a reference to corp/enterprise or EAP etc. in your post,
so I assumed this was a standalone residential network. do you have
a MS contact for your company you can escalate through?

Old February 27th 07, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bill Wood

I'm an IT contractor at a client site who has chosen not to adopt Vista
because of VPN problems. I seriously doubt they are going to escalate a
wireless issue for me, especially since I have a manual workaround.

And when I'm home, my wireless network is fine. I don't have any trouble at
all with it. Probably my biggest aggravation is that the Alternate IP config
doesn't work, AT ALL... It wouldn't bother me having to use manual IP
settings if I didn't have to do it EVERY TIME I change from business to hotel
to home, or other places. What a royal PAIN!

I guess my frustration stems from the fact that I would have expected that
the networking piece would have been more "bulletproof" in Vista...

Old February 27th 07, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
markbyrn

I had this problem suddenly occur when using my home router - it had
worked fine for several days, and than today I received this
'unidentified network - local only' notification. The only solution
that worked for me was to uninstall & reinstall my network adapter. I
would hope there is a more elegant solution.

Old March 4th 07, 01:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
John Scott

I finally gave up on trying to get wireless to work in my laptop. I had two
issues with Vista network. First my Wireless network Verizon did not have
Vista drivers for my PC Card. Then their was the issue at home connecting to
my router! I finally gave up and reinstalled XP. I had the same problem with
my desktop machine with wireless connection. So I went back to Cat5 and so
far so good. My only thought to Microsoft is have you never heard the saying"
if it is'nt broke don't fix it" Well I think you should look that up!

Old March 21st 07, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jim

i too am having problems.

several of the people with me have the exact same computer running windows
xp and no problem.

i have a dell latitude d610 with intel 2200bg pro wireless card.

the diagnostics, etc. do not fix things.

i have a clear connection to the wireless network here at the hotel but have
been cutoff from the internet. it keeps saying i need a different firewall
setting but even when i disable the firewall setting, it tells me there is a
dns issue.

this is a _serious_ problem and i am UTTERLY perplexed why things that
worked in xp are changed like this?

if this isn't fixed very soon, i'm going back to windows xp. and i'm also
about to start giving in to my students repeated arguments that we should
switch to macs.

Old March 21st 07, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jukie

Bill, could you explain how to do this: "try MANUALLY setting up the IP info
for that
wireless access point." I'm having internet connection problems too, and
have found much of the info way to technical for me, so please write
instructions for someone as dumb as I am
Thanks!