ScanJet 3970 Driver for Vista

Old May 21st 07, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CW Sussex UK

Default ScanJet 3970 Driver for Vista

Thanks all Hi James - The driver hp provided me just gave a really basic
scan option - which one did you download that gave you full functionality
please? (apologies if I've misunderstood anything here) . (NB tried
microsoft virtual pc with XP installed but then discovered usb not supported
!! - also tried the 'old software' compatibility option in Vista but no joy
either - good old Microsoft....). Thanks in advance C

PS just a thought but does anyone know of a virtual option that supports
usb ?

"CW Sussex UK" wrote:

I downloaded the driver on the HP site but there is no transparency /
negative scan option (which is the main reason I got this device), and also
no set-up functionality as such. And so far HP's helpful advice to me when
I queried this - tough, we're not going to improve this so go buy a new
scanner! Either HP's customer support is appalling - or there another driver
somewhere 'out there that I'm just missing ? Any help appreciated.

Col

"jmcdaniel3" wrote:

HP has posted a Vista 32/64 bit beta driver for the Scanjet 3970 and it works
just fine as I have the same scanner.
--
James
Austin, Texas

"Sabo, Eric" wrote:

Does anyone know of other driver that I could use for a ScanJet 3970 Scanner
from HP on windows vista? HP is saying they will have a driver in the near
future.

Old July 19th 07, 09:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cpdieleman

Hallo,

I own a HP Scanjet 3970 and I was disappointed to read that HP did not
make a driver for my scanner to work with Vista. I discovered following:
In the manual of this scanner you can see that they also speak about
the models: 2400, 3670 and 3690. So I thought maybe the software for
those other models are more or less the same, and yes, it looks like it
is.

At the Vista download site for model 3690:
'http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=29 8544&lang=en'
(http://tinyurl.com/2djzsa)
there is the software package, '*setup_full_2436.exe* '
(http://tinyurl.com/2h8exp).
(you can also look for the HP-site in your native language).

I downloaded the package and tried to install it. I tried it in
different ways and in the following way I succeeded to make my scanner
work fully under Vista.
The only way in which things work on my PC is:
1) Installed the original XP scanner software (from the CD) or the
update from HP;
2) Installed the new package for the 3690 scanner (over the earlier
installed original software);
3) When this was done (possibly you must restart your PC) the scanner
worked perfectly. I can make scans of images and documents (OCR as
well). The interface is nearly exactly the same as the interface from
the original software.

Installing only the new software package did not work and installing
the new package first and than the original software did also not work.

I hope all the other 3970 users can get their scanner back to work
under Vista.

PS
My motherboard is: Asus P5b de Luxe.

Greetings, Kees Dieleman

--
cpdieleman
Old July 19th 07, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
huwyngr

In article , Cpdieleman
wrote:

Installed the original XP scanner software

That's the secret I believe but I've also used compatibility mode set
to XP with SP2 and installed the software using Run as Administrator.

What's behind it is that WIA in VISTA has changed and won't recognize
older methods of communicating between scanner and PC.

But installing the HP software does communicate OK but I think you may
find that specific VISTA utilities like Fax and Scan may not work.

My HPSJ5P scanner which goes back to WIN95 days and is scsi connected
works fine using the HP Copy Utility and using Deskscan 2.9.

When installing the software do not have the scanner plugged into the
PC, especially if it is USB connected, since VISTA will get into a
fight with Add new hardware trying to work at the same time as the HP
installer. Connect the USB cable when told by the HP software or after
you get to [Finish].

Old April 27th 08, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vandil

Thank you, cpdieleman! You saved me from buying another scanner. I was
looking for that solution for more than a year (obviously not too hard
in the past half year ).

After following the described steps my Scanjet 3970 is revived. Now it
works fully under Windows Vista 32-bit. In short:
1. Install full software package for Scanjet 3970 for Windows XP.
2. Install full software package for Scanjet 3690 for Windows Vista.
2a. During the install the setup asked me to plug the scanner and then
to click Ok. So I plugged the scanner, waited for Windows to detect the
device and to install some driver (sucessfully) and then clicked Ok to
continue setup.
3. I hurried to restart manually after the installation, although the
setup didn't ask for that. Just in case you know...
4. Yeeehaa! The TMA adapter works once again!

I don't know if this is the minimal procedure. I didin't test the
scanner before restarting. I didn't test any other combination or
sequence of drivers and software. I only followed cpdieleman's steps
blindly... and that worked.

Hi there Google - come and index this precious page!
Key phrases: Scanjet 3970, Windows Vista, Full driver, TMA support.

--
vandil
vandil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47475

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 15th 08, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DR EDM

I am also trying to salvage my scanjet 3970. Looking on the HP driver
download site, 1 driver download shows up. HP Basic Feature Driver.
2.7MB. Does anyone know if this will work for Vista?

--
DR EDM

Old October 15th 08, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Try it and see. If you're running 32 bit Vista, the other option is the try
XP 32 bit drivers, which may also work.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

news

Old October 15th 08, 10:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DR EDM[_2_]

I followed a thread from cpdieleman. Basicly what he said was to install
the drivers for the 3970 xp, then install the drivers for the 3690
vista.
Both scanners are very much alike. (Must be installed in that order)
I downloaded both drivers from HP. I didn't connect the scanner until
everything was done and the pc was restarted. What a bargain! It worked.
Although I haven't tried TMA yet but I don't use that much anyway.
The package for the 3690 vista is 'setup_full_2436.exe'
The package for the 3970 xp is the HP update 2.2
Now I don't have to go buy a new scanner.

--
DR EDM