Printer driver list empty

Old March 30th 07, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HolmanGT

Default Printer driver list empty

Alan,
Now you have made me feel bad because of my snappy attitude the first
go-around.

I am in contact with some M$ support guy but he thinks it is a printer
problem, and I am with you on this Alan I don't think it is printer specific
either (matter of fact it I would bet a cup of coffee on it).

Alan, there are only three things I have attempted to install that may have
contributed to this problem (all three did not work, ever).
1. A Jabra Blue tooth
2. A Anycomm 250 Blue tooth
3. My HP 6840 (I used their new release Vista driver package).

Alan I am pretty close to going back to a back up that in time is pretty
close to my original install, if that does not work I am going back and do a
complete reinstall, which by the way I don't know how to do because I
originally installed the Business version and then did the anytime upgrade to
Ultimate so I don't even have an Ult. disk or License Key. Anyway between
this whacko security, copy protection and not be able to install any
peripherals... it is just about completely turned me off to Vista and I would
be hard put to recommend it to anyone.

Appreciate your help Alan, and you are the only M$ person so far that
realizes the magnitude of this problem, magnitude hell, you are the only one
that is even aware of the problem. The rest just go duh... call HP and then
HP does the same thing and says call M$. In case it is not obvious I am not
having very much fun right now with my brand new very expensive none upgrade
version of Vista Ultimate. The only thing Ultimate about it may be my demise.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Yup I know this but I can't suggest anything else at this point.

Holman, I assume you have the same issue. This is not a printer specific
issue by the way and it's not anything in the registry. I will add you to
the list of affected customer$.

Anyone else with this problem let me know so I can inform the responsible
team.

I'd also like the driver name that brought on the problem, currently it
appears it's just HP for the print driver list but since HP represents more
printers, there is no clear conclusion.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"HolmanGT" wrote in message
Alan,

I know you are trying to be helpful, but Re-installing Vista or going God
only knows how far back in time is just not the answer most of us want,
besides we all know that already.

I have always found it very difficult to accept the fact that if something
like a list of installed printers is not showing up that someone on M$
does
not have enough expertise to know the items in the registry that take care
of
that sort of thing.

The shotgun approach is just so coarse and time consuming and please
remember that reverting back destroys anything that has been added in the
interim.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

If you can use system restore to revert the system back to a state before
the HP driver modified the system

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

wrote in message
Hi Justin,
A few devices show under the Add Legacy Hardware. If I select "show
all devices" a few manufacturers show up. For most of the devices
listed are ones that are installed on this machine. Selecting other
categories of device including printers either show (unable to find
any drivers for this device) or a single of "Model". In each case
there is a "Have Disk" button and in the case of printers also
a"Windows Update" button.

Thank you for your response. I will monitor this news group
often,however if you need my true email address I will be glad to give
it to you.

Bob C

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:03:31 -0700, "Justin Weiss [MSFT]"
wrote:

Bob, are you still having this problem? If so, could you see if devices
are
showing up under other device classes? Try opening devmgmt.msc, going
Action-Add Legacy Hardware (if this item doesn't show up at first, try
clicking on an item in the device tree). Then click Next, select
"Install
the hardware that I manually select from a list," and select a device
class
(such as Display Adapters). Do any devices show up?

Thanks,
Justin

Old March 30th 07, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Hi Alan,

Maybe this will help with the specific driver.

I was able to install both a HP Officejet 4515 All-in-one and a Hp
Photosmart 7960 using the Add Printer Wizard which was fully populated
at the time.

Then I experienced a failed attempt to install this file from HP
"AIO_CDB_Full_Non-Network_enu.exe" . It is listed on the HP drivers
download page as "This download includes the HP Full Feature Software
and Drivers." They list all versions of Vista both 32bit an 64bit as
the system requirements.

After the above driver failed to detect the Deskjet and was
uninstalled, the vista new hardware wizard could not find any drivers
for the Deskjet4315. I then tried to reinstall the Vista native
drivers that had originally worked using the add printer wizard and
fount it completely empty. I was able to get the Deskjet4315 drivers
back using system restore but the add printer wizard list remained
empty.

Of course I can not say for sure that the HP driver caused the list to
be empty as quite some time had elapsed between using the wizard to
install the two printers and trying to update to the full feature
driver.

Bob C

Old March 30th 07, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Where can I send a StarBucks card (If you are located on Mars, then I'll
have to choose a different provider). If you still have contact with the MS
support guy send him my name. If his first name is Jim, he also knows this
is not printer specific.

Don't feel bad. I like to use the $ in customer to push the fact that the
customer is where the $s are from and you guys deserve some respect (well
the nice ones at least).

Hang on just a bit before a complete reinstall the Business CD has the same
files on it as the Ultimate but the License for Ultimate just gains access
to those features.

I hope to have more information Monday.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

news

Old March 31st 07, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HolmanGT

Alan,

You’re lucky I had a whole big long winded reply but in my infinite
dexterity I sent it to some bit bucket in the sky by mistake.

The M$ guy that is supporting my problem name is Michael W. nice guy but I
don't think he has a clue how big this problem is, I sent him a list of a
blank add printers screen and he replies asking me to try deleting all the
printers... did I miss something.

Anyway I guess I will try to find the fortitude to wait until Monday before
I do a new install. I really don't have that kind of patience but I purchased
business to Ultimate Full on line thru the “Any-Time” “Digital Locker” thing.
So now I have a $300+ Legal Vista Ultimate with no license key or CD so I
don’t know how the hell I would reinstall it anyway. No this is not funny, I
feel like M$ asked me to play shotgun and I agreed. If I have to go out and
by another copy of Vista Full so I can reinstall I am going to become a one
man anti-Vista Town Crier not that it will do any good just make me feel
better (I think).

I just don’t understand how a company like M$ can go along when a major
problems like this shows up and not make some public statement about “Yuppers
– we know about it, we are working on it and a fix will be forthcoming that
would at least give people a sense of “Helps on the way”.

Well I guess your luck ran out Alan, this was pretty long-winded.

Old April 2nd 07, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

If you can use system restore to revert the system back to a state
before
the HPdrivermodified the system

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

. ..

wrote:

Bob, are you still having this problem? If so, could you see if
devices
are
showing up under other device classes? Try opening devmgmt.msc,
going
Action-Add Legacy Hardware (if this item doesn't show up at first,
try
clicking on an item in the device tree). Then click Next, select
"Install
the hardware that I manually select from alist," and select a
device
class
(such as Display Adapters). Do any devices show up?

Thanks,
Justin- Hide quoted text -

I was contacted and told a fix was on its way, but no ETA. I can't
really justify the expensive upgrade to Vista, only to wait
"indefinitely" on the ability to use a new printer that always worked
previously, so as much as I despise the suggestion, I'll be taking the
recommended "shotgun" approach in another 48 hours, if nothing else
comes about.

Best of luck to everyone else with this issue.

Old April 2nd 07, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HolmanGT

Here is the fix for the "Empty Printer List".

C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is most likely corrupt and should be deleted.
You will need to edit its file permissions to give Full Control to the
User Group before you will be allowed to delete it.

Credit to: Bob (of), Windows Vista Community, Hardware & Devices

I personally used this method and it works and works well. But I assume no
liability or credit.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Thanks

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

"viersich" wrote in message
Hi.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Please take a look at the %systemroot%\inf\setupapi.dev.log and
setupapi.app.log. Errors are marked with a "!!!".

No, sorry, no suspicious entries.

Bye

Marc

Old April 2nd 07, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HolmanGT

Here is the fix for the "Empty Printer List".

C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is most likely corrupt and should be
deleted.
You will need to edit its file permissions to give Full Control to the
User Group before you will be allowed to delete it.

Credit to: Bob (of), Windows Vista Community, Hardware & Devices

I personally used this method and it works and works well.I am now
able
to install printers and thumb drive automatically (don't know about
USB
hard drive but I assume they will also work).

My heartfelt thanks goes out to "Bob" whomever and wherever you may
be.

I assume no liability or credit for this fix.

--
HolmanGT
HolmanGT's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24165

http://forums.techarena.in

Old April 2nd 07, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

It also works for me. I simply renamed the file to INFCACHE.1.old and
it fixed the empty add printer list.

It will probably fix other problems where new hardware would not
install automatically, but haven't had time to try yet.

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the purpose of
this file, especially how it gets created and modified. A reboot did
not recreate it.

Bob C

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:02:04 -0700, HolmanGT
wrote:

Here is the fix for the "Empty Printer List".

C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is most likely corrupt and should be deleted.
You will need to edit its file permissions to give Full Control to the
User Group before you will be allowed to delete it.

Credit to: Bob (of), Windows Vista Community, Hardware & Devices

I personally used this method and it works and works well. But I assume no
liability or credit.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Thanks

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

"viersich" wrote in message
Hi.

Old April 2nd 07, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HolmanGT

Hey Bob,

It does take care of things like thumb drives, so I am hoping it will
take care of USB Ext HDs also.

My infcache.1 never came back either but it works great without it. I
am sure there is more to this story than meets the eye but I will take
what I can get.

You know what makes this so hard to deal with for me anyway is My HP
6840 (an excellent printer by the way) does Ethernet, USB and wireless.
I brought it home took it out of the box and XP automatically started
talking wirelessly to it. Now a new OS ... TaDa drum roll ... six years
in the making "with WOW" whatever that is and the damn thing can't even
find its way home after dark.

And I have a request for M$ Please stop adding "Remember it is a new OS
and third party drivers so please be patient". Just admit you goofed and
let an oops slip thru, that is much more palatable for me than the
canned propaganda blurb.

Old April 3rd 07, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Thanks to HolmanGT for posting the solution to the empty printers list
by deleting or renaming the INFCACHE.1 file I was able to do some
testing.

For my system it is definitely the new HP driver posted on their web
site in the last week or so that adds the corrupt INFCHACHE.1 file.

If you delete the corrupt file, before uninstalling their defective
package, it is added back during the uninstall.

The uninstall also does not restore the limited function driver that
was native to Vista. Thus their failed installation renders the
printer inoperative unless you use "system restore" or know to delete
the corrupt INFCACHE.1 file. It also prevents the installation of any
other printer using native Vista drivers.

I have spent many hours on the telephone and sending email to HP
support and they insist that the problem does not lie with their
driver. This short excerpt from my setupapi.dev.log sure looks like
the problem is in their driver package unless I totally do not
understand the words.
*********************sto: Processing CopyInf. File =
c:\users\bob\appdata\local\temp\7zseb86.tmp\hph910 0a.inf
! sto: File
c:\users\bob\appdata\local\temp\7zseb86.tmp\hph910 0a.inf listed in
CopyInf directive is missing. Skipping importation of this driver

I only pasted one of twelve such entry's in the log. There are other
errors also.

This definitely is not a Microsoft problem. I put the details here in
the hope that someone from Microsoft can convince HP that they have a
serious problem with most if not all of the recently released Vista
printer drivers.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Bob C