Printer driver list empty

Old April 3rd 07, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HolmanGT

Default Printer driver list empty

Give-em Hell Bob,

This finger pointing gets kind of old, especially while you and I sit
here with our equipment down so to speak :-)

Maybe Alan will be able to do some good with all the detail you have
collected, even if he has been very quiet today.

--
HolmanGT
HolmanGT's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24165

http://forums.techarena.in

Old April 3rd 07, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Just lingering. The problem is not in the fact that some vendor can corrupt
the infcache files, Vista is supposed to detect this and regenerate the
file. Unfortunately the setup functions that perform this work are not
doing the job. Keep stirring the fire and the flames will be noticed by
someone. I was never able to track down the support person you were dealing
with. There was some mail from someone else in support, which was how the
spooler developers were able to pass the information to the core setup team
who said, known issue (we also do some finger pointing internally). The
setup team recommended the system restore and clean install solutions. I am
glad "Bob" from the hardware newsgroup decided to use the information that
must have been passed his way.

There is a Quick Fix Engineering bug now to address this problem but the
support group needs to increase the number of instances this problem is
encountered so we need to get your instance on the list.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Old April 3rd 07, 12:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Thanks for the update Alan.

The thought had crossed my mind that something in the operating system
should protect it from third party stuff.

I still hopes that Microsoft can somehow convince Hewlett-Packard that
they (HP) have released a bunch of bad Vista printer drivers. Trying
to get the information to them through their support system only hits
a brick wall of "problem in our drivers---No way!".

Bob C

Old September 19th 07, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
rogerperkins

Have you seen this post:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=718080 ?

--
rogerperkins
rogerperkins's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31342

Old September 19th 07, 05:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HolmanGT[_2_]

rogerperkins;3170725 Wrote:
Have you seen this post:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=718080 ?

ROGERPERKINS,

I am the poster of that and it does work, sometimes you have to
re-delete it because something in the OS rebuilds it so you don't have
to worry about a back-up because the damn thing will come back on it's
own.

But delete it install your printer "The complete list will be there
after the deletion" it takes a 15-20 seconds to build the list so don't
get disappointed too fast.

If you need to use it again and it goes empty, just delete the cache
again. It doesn't rebuild it right away - actually I have yet to figure
out what rebuilds it but sooner or later it comes back on its own like a
bad dream.

Regards, and happy printing.

PS - If it was not for this tid-bit I would have put XP back on my
machine a long time ago.

Old September 21st 07, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Call Microsoft for the QFE. There is not a charge for this bug fix.

This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
automatically install inbox drivers.

Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
your device"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187