Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please

Old March 3rd 07, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Walter Cohen

Default Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please

I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939 mobo.
I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the system up
using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.

Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this might
even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.

Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
"IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

My bios is an AWARD bios. The *only* PCI card I have in my system is a
Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) which I plug my cable
modem into to dish out my wireless signal to my other home desktops.

Any help is appreciated on understanding what this error is telling me and
how I might successfully address it.
*Also, if you think I should post this in a more appropriate newsgroup
please let me know

Thanks!
Walter

Old March 3rd 07, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
canixs

This ACPI error is a known issue to MS and had article about, I don't
remember where, but it's safely ignore.

Old March 3rd 07, 01:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Walter Cohen

Note: my comment about the *only* PCI card is incorrect. I also have a
PCI-Express Nvidia GeForce 7600GS graphics card.

Walter

Old March 3rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Moisan

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.

Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.

Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
"IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

Actually, MS does have a KB on this, no thanks to their search:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...rss&spid=11707

If there are no errors (yellow exclaimation points) in Device Manager, then
this can be ignored. I would check with Biostar for a BIOS update as that
is the most likely cause for sleep/suspend problems.

Take care,

Dave

Old March 3rd 07, 02:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
BobS

Walter,

I am not familiar with that particular motherboard and the BIOS settings
required for your setup. But you will find settings you can make that
assign IRQ's either manually or Automatically in the BIOS. If you ever made
any changes to these then you would know where to look - otherwise get out
the mb manual. Also may want to make sure you have the most recent BIOS
updates and try those. Be sure to follow the manf recommended procedures
for updating the BIOS.

Unless you have a specific need or the mb manf say's you need a setting
other than the defaults, I would set the default settings for the PCI
slots - or even just set all defaults for the MB.

Without doing a lot of research on this mb, I'm afraid I can't offer much
more help.

Bob S.

Old March 3rd 07, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bob

"canixs" wrote in message
[...]

I've been trying to find out the same info as I get them on my system also.
I would bet a good number of computers react the same way...if people were
to look at their event viewer. Here's a quote from the MS Knowledge base:
"CAUSE
This error message may occur on a computer that uses a Peripheral Component
Interconnect (PCI) bridge that supports message-signaled interrupts but does
not support line-based interrupts

RESOLUTION
This error message may safely be ignored.

Note Do not ignore this error message if the following conditions are
true: . A yellow explanation mark (!) appears next to the device in Device
Manager.
. You receive the following error message in the Properties dialog box
for the device in Device Manager:
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
12)
In this scenario, a different issue may be causing the symptoms. Take
additional steps to troubleshoot this issue"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930062/en-us

Took me several days of hunting to find this.
Bob

Old March 3rd 07, 04:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
canixs

This issue doesn't seem to affect x64 version since I only got that error
message if I used Vista x32.

Old March 3rd 07, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Walter Cohen

I have no yellow exclamation points with anything in a PCI slot.
Interestingly, when I went to device manager and viewed the driver details
for my Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) it says it is in
PCI bus 4 (I assume this is the same as PCI Slot 4).
So it would appear that this PCI card is causing the error for some reason.

Walter
news

Old March 4th 07, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
George

You can temporarily remove the Linksys card just to see what effect it
has on the error message and the abillity to resume from sleep.

George

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;930062&sd=rss...

If there are no errors (yellow exclaimation points) in Device Manager,
then this can be ignored. I would check with Biostar for a BIOS update as
that is the most likely cause for sleep/suspend problems.

Take care,

Dave- Hide quoted text -