Updating video card drivers HELP

Old April 5th 07, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Jain

Default Updating video card drivers HELP

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 21:50:02 -0700, drheywoodfloyd
wrote:

Just found this series of messages, and I'm having more or less the same
problem.

4-5 daily crashes and lock-ups since I purchased this new computer (on
3.14), but I believe the problem is my NVIDIA graphics card. I have found the
beta driver update at their site, but, as has been mentioned here, I'm to
uninstall the old one first. However, I can't find it listed among my
"uninstall programs" list. Also, a search for "NVIDIA" lists nothing.

According to the packaging on my system, I should have a GeForce 6150SE
installed, but a deeper look in Vista states a GeForce 6100 nForce 430.

Odd? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Generally, if you have nVidia drivers installed they should show up
under Programs and Features and you should be able to unistall. If
you don't have this, it's possible that don't have anything but the MS
video drivers installed.

----------- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
Old April 5th 07, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
drheywoodfloyd

I did find the driver via device manager:"NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 430
(Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)". I assume because it's listed as "working
properly" that it's installed.

I'll give this a go when I have a chance. Thanks, I'll post what happens.

Old April 8th 07, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BaTT

"drheywoodfloyd" wrote:

I did find the driver via device manager:"NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 430
(Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)". I assume because it's listed as "working
properly" that it's installed.

I'll give this a go when I have a chance. Thanks, I'll post what happens.

Is that an on-board gpu from the motherboard? Looks like it from the name.

So there is no way to disable the auto driver install at all? How about the
location that Vista searches? Can I change a folder name that it is in to
make it not look for new drivers?
Old May 7th 08, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
viers

"neverforget" wrote:

So, if I understand you correctly, the current drivers do not need to be
uninstalled before installing the new NVIDIA video drivers?

Thanks,

Ron

"Dean-Dean" wrote:

This is by design after uninstalling the old driver, otherwise you'd be
looking at a blank moniter, and be unable to install your new driver.
Vista's default driver will upgrade/go away when you perform the new
installation.

"Agent" wrote:

I just downloaded the latest nvidia drivers....After uninstalling the old
ones from Vista....vista automatically installs the default drivers thus the
only way for me to update is to install the drivers on top of vista's default
drivers. is there a way to disable the auto update/install feature on vista
so i can update my video card drivers with the latest?

ty