CD/DVD Drives don't recognize discs

Old March 5th 07, 04:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
netfairy23

Default CD/DVD Drives don't recognize discs

Here's the deal...

I got a new Gateway FX530XM with Vista Home Premium (32bit). It has two
double-layer multi-format DVD writers (DVD+/R+RW/CD-R/RW). It's not
recognizing the discs that I put in (Audio, Software or DVD's). I put a disc
in, it spins. When I go to my computer, it shows all the drives, but it
doesn't show that a disc is in either drive. If I try to access what it on
the disc, the computer freezes.

After talking to 5 different people at Gateway (3 of which hung up on me),
one decided that both drives are bad. That seems really odd that both drives
would be bad on a brand new computer (the tower was delivered yesterday!).
Gateway is going to replace both drives. But I really don't think that's the
problem.

Any ideas, suggestions??? TIA!

Old March 5th 07, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Insight Driver

It is possible that the IDE cable connection on the motherboard needs to be
reseated. I would try that first. Logically if both drives do not work right
and they are connected to the same cable then it is more likely a cable
connection at the motherboard end than at the drive end. We all need to work
on our social skills at times.

Old March 10th 07, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Serge Deschênes

I have a similar problem. The DVD drives are disappearing from the explorer
while they are shown in the Device Manager but with an exclamation point.
The drivers are also up to date, according to windows.

The problem is not physical as it comes and go. Sometime after rebooting
the drives would reappear After reading several comments on this post, it
seems to be a recurrent problem with Windows Vista.

This time, after rebooting three times, the drives are still not
reappearing.

I am hoping that Microsoft will take a good look at this recurring problem
as it seems to be affecting several of their clients.

Old December 23rd 08, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
supernort

I'm occasionally having problems whilst attempting to rip CDs in Media
Player 10 on XP. Sometimes the disc is recognized by the computer, but
then it disappears after a few minutes. The disc appears to be clean and
completely unscratched. This has happened on several discs. The disc I'm
currently having problems with is "Broken" by Nine Inch Nails - I'm
wondering if some discs are somehow protected from ripping. I'm a
complete novice in this area, so would appreciate any advice at all.

--
supernort
supernort's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/supernort.htm

http://forums.techarena.in