nVidia nForce Realtek audio SPDIF is not detected or working

Old March 5th 07, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
NerdBrick

Default nVidia nForce Realtek audio SPDIF is not detected or working

I have a nForce4 GA-K8NF-9 motherboard with a built in Realtek audio.

The trouble is it worked fine with MCE 2005, but when I moved to Vista the
SPDIF is no longer functional. I have audio, but only 2 channel through the
regular audio jack. I have looked all the settings in the Gigabyte UI that
Vista installed, and the Speaker control panel, but nothing allows me to turn
on the SPDIF jack.

I went to the Realtek site to get new drivers, but Vista didn't want to
install them because it said I already had current audio drivers.

Any help?
Old March 5th 07, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Do you have the latest nForce drivers from the www.nvidia.com website?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old March 6th 07, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
NerdBrick

I just got it to work by installing the latest RealTek drivers.

Now I'm trying to figure out why my external USB HD is no longer being
detected after getting the S/PDIF working.

Arg!

Old April 2nd 07, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ssuper2k

I HAVE SENT THIS EMAIL TO REALTEK with NO LUCK yet:
Hello, I'm writing to all of you because I don't know exactly who to
contact...

Firstly, I should tell you that I have an Asus MoBo with a realtek
sound chip that includes both s/pdif (s) coaxial+optical outputs...

I've always connected my external amplifier throught the optical to get
pure digital sound...

With Windows XP, it works flawlesly, once I select S/Pdif output on the
correcponding application.. my amplifier then detects either DTS/Dolby
or whatever...

The problem is with Windows Vista(32b), I am not able to get it work
properly, I've tried it a lot of times, several versions of drivers,
with same results:
I get only Stereo S/Pdif output..

The most important clue for me is that PowerDVD 7.3 does NOT detect my
S/Pdif output (under XP it does)

I've selected my speakers as SPDIF, and 5.1... (the latest driver adds
a new digital output)and the test does OK througt DTS/Dolby5.1 test,
using all 6 speakers...

But when I test usung the realtek application it only uses 2
speakers...

I use the computer to play digital media (as MKV videos) with digital
audio tracks, usualy configuring AC3 filter to use SPDIF as
well..working fine on XP...playing it with any kind of media player, as
Windows Media player or VLC or any other..

So I'm pretty sure I'm doing right but still not able to get 5.1 soung
through any media player under Windows Vista..

I just would like to know if I am wasting my time, or else is/will be
it posible under Vista...

By the way, if it were relevant, my mobo is A8V Deluxe, CPU 4600+, and
2GB ram, so It runs Vista pretty fast..

I hope I can get an answer soon or else I'm going crazy..

Thanks in advance.

Regards, ssuper2k.

--
ssuper2k
ssuper2k's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24159

http://forums.techarena.in

Old April 2nd 07, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
NerdBrick

Thank you.

I think many of my problems were trying to run Vista64, so I moved back to
Vista32. The most recet RelTek driver got my SPDIF working, and I see I can
have regular audio out or SDIF out; however, you can't have both active. When
I was running XP Media Center I was able to have both active so I can rout my
audio out on the back panel to different devices in my rack. Now I have to
make as choice which device I want to use.

Is this a bug or a feature that you can only choose one type of output?

Old April 3rd 07, 07:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ssuper2k

NerdBrick;2719106 Wrote:

I think many of my problems were trying to run Vista64, so I moved back
Vista32. The most recet RelTek driver got my SPDIF working, and I see I
can
have regular audio out or SDIF out; however, you can't have both
active. When
[/color]
I know Vista64 is 'special' with drivers, because of that I just tried
Vista32 on this box...
I know Vista very well since first betas, but may be there is a 32bit
driver that I didn't try yet... *Could you post here a link to that
driver please??* ... or else send a a mail to that...

Do you know if powerdvd detects your S/Pdif on vista32?

THANKS

ssuper2k [@] hotmail dot com

Old March 27th 09, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vulcanda

This actually may not be a problem with Vista and the audio drivers. I
was having similar problems and through my reading I discovered that
Power DVD version 7.3 doesn't support multi-channel audio output via
HDMI. I know you are trying to use the SPDIF output and to be honest I
cant remember if the version 7.3 issue was multi-channel audio all
together or if it was just an HDMI issue. It is something you might
look into. I had to either upgrade to version 9 (version 9 ultra for
HDMI in fact) or look at using another player. I went with another
player (Arcsoft TotalMedia theater) and I have not had a problem since.

--
vulcanda
vulcanda's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85673.htm

http://forums.techarena.in