Is Windows Vista index-based full-text search powerful enough?

Old March 6th 07, 08:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Peter Frank

Default Is Windows Vista index-based full-text search powerful enough?

Dennis wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:22:12 +1100, . wrote:

Acrobat 5, which works quickly, can open any PDF I've seen and I see a lot
every day. Installing it doesn't enable indexing of contents.

I havent myself checkedmarked PDF in indexing options for file types
to be indexed. I just checked it now, and PDF file type are set to be
indexed with properties AND contents.
I did nothing, but installing Acrobat Reader and adding my drive to
indexed locations.

But, hey, my Vista could be broken

I do have Acrobat Reader installed but not the most up-to-date
version. It is not Acrobat 5 but Acrobat 6.0. Will it work with this
version of Acrobat Reader? Or which one is the minimum requirement?

Peter
Old March 6th 07, 08:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Peter Frank

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

To answer you questions briefly:

- The Windows Search indexer should be able to handle these kinds of
scenarios. If you decide you don't want it to run you need to disable the
Windows Search service.

- You can control what locations are indexed through the Indexing Options
Control Panel, or programatically. We don't currently support multiple

OK, that's at least something because there are many locations on my
harddisk which I wouldn't want to be indexed. If it actually indexed
everything from the first to the last partition, it would be very
inefficient.

I think there's some control of when indexing happens
programatically, it depends exactly what scenario you are trying to achieve.

My concern is that re-indexing would slow down my computer
considerably, so I would want Windows to perform indexing only when
the computer is idle. I understand that this could mean that I may
have an obsolete index for some time.

- Yes we support a pretty rich query syntax, an overview of which is he
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...02ec61033.mspx

Very good.

I hope this helps,

Yes, it does. Thanks.

Regarding the question about whether I can set where to place the
index files: I conclude that it cannot be done, i.e. the index files
are mandatorily placed on partition C: where Windows Vista is
installed. Is that correct?

Actually, I would prefer to have the index files placed on a different
partition but I suppose this can't be done.

Are there any estimates on how much harddisk space I should reserve
for x GB of documents to be indexed (like 10 % for example, which
would mean I need 1 GB of extra space for every 10 GB of document
data)?
I understand that this depends on the type of data but as I mentioned
before the data locations that I would like to be indexed consist
almost exclusively of PDF documents, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
files.

Peter

"Peter Frank" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the new index-based full-text
search of Windows Vista.

1) Is it powerful enough to handle huge amounts of data consisting of
PDF documents, Word, Excel and Powerpoint files (around 20 GB)? Or
would a third-party solution like dtSearch be the better choice? If
this is the better choice, can the indexing by Windows Vista be
disabled?

2) Is there any way I can manage or control the indexing process?
a) Can I set the location of the index files?
b) Can I create multiple indexes?
c) Can I control in any way when the indexing takes place?

3) Can I perform advanced searches using Boolean operators?

Peter

Old March 6th 07, 08:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Peter Frank

Dennis wrote:

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:11:31 +0100, Peter Frank
wrote:

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the new index-based full-text
search of Windows Vista.

1) Is it powerful enough to handle huge amounts of data consisting of
PDF documents, Word, Excel and Powerpoint files (around 20 GB)? Or

I have indexing enabled on my data drive.
It contains approx 44Gb total.
16Gb is documents, mostly pdf's and other smaller files.
The rest is mainly lager files 10Mb in size.

And it works like a charm , that is, when it was done indexing )

Search result are VERY fast. I'm really impressed, i was kind 'a
expecting to having to turn indexing off for that drive again.

OK, good to hear. However, what about extensive adding, moving,
copying and deleting of files? My scenario would regularly include a
lot of these operations, so I wonder whether this would slow my
computer considerably due to the re-indexing that Windows Vista would
have to perform. By the way, does Windows Vista re-index immediately
after any changes in a location marked for indexing or only when it is
idle or ...?

Peter
Old March 6th 07, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
MeNoKnow

It stays out of your way and only operates at idle time. It takes a while to
get the thing built initially. But once it's built the maintenance seems
pretty minor. I use it heavily. (In fact, one of the main reasons I hate
going back to XP now is because I'm spoiled and sick-and-tired of having to
navigate all over the place all the time like I've been doing since the DOS
era. And I'm sick of those stupid Search Companion searches too ;-).

But now that I've offended all of the Search Companion fans.

I don't know what you mean by "extensive" file management. But as long as
you're using reasonably fast hardware you shouldn't have any problem with
the index keeping up in the background.

If you're going to load a zillion document files onto Vista right after
installation, let it sit idle whenever you can for a while. Because that
first step of building the index is (as you might imagine) pretty labor
intensive and takes some time.

(If you've ever written a search index type of thing, you can only imagine
what a nightmare it must be in Vista where you have to worry about umpteen
jillion file types being impinged upon by umpteen million programs from
umpteen thousand software vendors, each of whom makes up their own rules on
the fly).

Old March 6th 07, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave Wood [MS]

- We put a lot of effort into 'backing-off' the indexing so it doesn't
interfere with the user's normal use of the machine. So in general this
shouldn't be an issue.

- You can move the location of the index files to a different location using
the Indexing Options Control Panel.

Dave

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

[...]

. ..

Old March 6th 07, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave Wood [MS]

Oh, and while I'm on a roll:

The latest query syntax doc is he

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/des...advanced3.mspx

The one someone else posted was for Windwso Search 2.6, which will be very
similar but not absolutely identical.

Also you discussed index size relative to documents size. There's no way to
estimate this exactly, because different files contribute different amounts
to the index size {e.g. pictures less, text docs more}. But we typically see
a range from less than 5% up to maybe 15%.

Dave

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote in message
- We put a lot of effort into 'backing-off' the indexing so it doesn't
interfere with the user's normal use of the machine. So in general this
shouldn't be an issue.

- You can move the location of the index files to a different location
using the Indexing Options Control Panel.

Dave

Old March 6th 07, 11:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
DevilsPGD

In message Dennis
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 18:15:07 -0500, "Geta Klew"
wrote:

LOL, let alone the fact that he couldn't open and read them after finding
them if he didn't have a reader ;-0

Yeah.... ha ha

Well one never knows, if there is a way to construct impossible
scenarios, someone will do it just for the heck of it.

There are other PDF readers other then Adobe's software too...
--
Insert something clever here.
Old March 7th 07, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jeffrey S. Sparks

Why haven't you tried v8?

Jeff

. wrote in message ...
Why it matters is I use version 5 of Acrobat Reader.
. wrote in message ...
If one needs to install acrobat for it to work then it DOES NOT do it by
default.

"Dennis" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:20:31 +1100, . wrote:

It doesn't do PDFs by default.

Nonsense.

It does.

I haven't changed ANY options other than adding the data drive to
indexed locations.

Needless to say Acrobat reader have to be installed.

Regards

Old March 7th 07, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Flash Gortdon

I thought I read something about it having to be Reader version 6 at
least....so newer would be better I presume.

Pardon me if I misread though....

FG

"Jeffrey S. Sparks" wrote in message
Why haven't you tried v8?