Old July 1st 07, 05:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
partenope

Default Vista loses drivers

In the meanwhile, I tried reformatting the stick. I got the "Open File /
Optimize Memory" option window briefly before the Windows found new hardware"
window opened.

Re-plugging it, I get []? Other devices
[]! USB 2.0 FD

( [] represents the icon, also in the tray, Found New Hardware)

Device status This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)

(No changes, nor links to the device under:
1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage

Device)

Disk Drives and Portable Devices have:
USB HS-CF
USB HS-MS
USB HS-SD
USB HS-xD/SM
... USB Device (under Disk Drives)
and ... Card (under Devices, except the last, "USB
HS-xD/SM "

Universal Serial Bus controllers have
General Purpose USB Hub
M/S Internet Keyboard Pro Composite Device
2 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controllers
5 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controllers, and,
7 USB Root Hubs

No indications of problems besides the Other Devices - USB 2.0 FD.

"freddy" wrote:

partenope,

Plug in the memory stick and look in Device Manager to see how it is
recognized there. Device Manager should show the device three times, as
follows:

1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage Device

Note any indication of errors, such as a yellow bang (!), or any other
indication of a problem. In Device Manager, follow any any suggestions for
resolving any problem indicated. Post back on results.
--
freddy

"partenope" wrote:

freddy and all,

I installed a PNY OPTIMA Attache' 2 gig memory stick. My upgraded (Vista
Home to Vista Ultimate) Dell lost the connect.

I tried finding drivers on re-install in C:\Windows (and subfolders).

I found a reference to wpdfs.inf in the registry, but the only occurrence of
THAT that I find is a zero byte file, " Mstf_User_WpdFs....... " in
C:\$INPLACE.~TR\yada...yada..yada

I have deleted INFCACHE.1 file and get no recognition.

I assume I have a "lost driver." Anyone have any ideas? I can't get any
memory sticks to work in the machine.

Thanks for any assistence.