Old July 1st 07, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default Vista loses drivers

Good morning partenope,

I'm having difficulty following your descriptions. For example, I don't
know what USB HF-CF or any of the other similar descriptions mean, such as
USB 2.0 FD, etc. In summary, it appears to me that Vista is recognizing the
drive, but is having a problem with the way it's configured, judging from the
Code 1 you have.

The Optimize Memory window you're getting is Windows trying to tell you that
you can use the drive as a ReadyBoost device. This is OK. You can choose to
use the drive in that manner or not. If you don't know about ReadyBoost, you
can use google to learn more. I'm using a 2 GB USB SanDisk as a ReadyBoost
device, and I've not had any problem with it, so I know that Vista can work
with these USB type flash drives.

At this point, I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer's tech support, if
they have one, to determine what they say about the configuration of the
drive. I don't know what configuration the drive should have. Did the drive
come with any instructions about that? You may also try using google to see
whether you can find any information about that issue. Likely others have
posted about this on the Internet, if they have had a problem.

Also, peruse the manufacturer's website for any information on what the
story is about this drive. Did the drive come with any pre installed
software? If it did, that can cause a conflict with Vista, as it's likely
not compatible with Vista. I'm just not familiar with this device. You can
also try viewing the drive in Vista's Disk Management utility: Right click
Computer (formerly My Computer), select Manage and then select Disk
Management. The drive should show up there and perhaps it will display some
indication on the status of the drive and thus give you a clue as to what is
wrong with it.

I think my flash drive is formatted in FAT 32, and Vista has no problem with
that. In Disk Management, you may try formatting the drive in FAT 32 to see
whether that solves the problem. Just some suggetions. Post back on the
results you get.
--
freddy

"partenope" wrote:

In the meanwhile, I tried reformatting the stick. I got the "Open File /
Optimize Memory" option window briefly before the Windows found new hardware"
window opened.

Re-plugging it, I get []? Other devices
[]! USB 2.0 FD

( [] represents the icon, also in the tray, Found New Hardware)

Device status This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)

(No changes, nor links to the device under:
1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage

Device)

Disk Drives and Portable Devices have:
USB HS-CF
USB HS-MS
USB HS-SD
USB HS-xD/SM
... USB Device (under Disk Drives)
and ... Card (under Devices, except the last, "USB
HS-xD/SM "

Universal Serial Bus controllers have
General Purpose USB Hub
M/S Internet Keyboard Pro Composite Device
2 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controllers
5 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controllers, and,
7 USB Root Hubs

No indications of problems besides the Other Devices - USB 2.0 FD.

"freddy" wrote:

partenope,

Plug in the memory stick and look in Device Manager to see how it is
recognized there. Device Manager should show the device three times, as
follows:

1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage Device

Note any indication of errors, such as a yellow bang (!), or any other
indication of a problem. In Device Manager, follow any any suggestions for
resolving any problem indicated. Post back on results.
--
freddy

"partenope" wrote:

freddy and all,

I installed a PNY OPTIMA Attache' 2 gig memory stick. My upgraded (Vista
Home to Vista Ultimate) Dell lost the connect.

I tried finding drivers on re-install in C:\Windows (and subfolders).

I found a reference to wpdfs.inf in the registry, but the only occurrence of
THAT that I find is a zero byte file, " Mstf_User_WpdFs....... " in
C:\$INPLACE.~TR\yada...yada..yada

I have deleted INFCACHE.1 file and get no recognition.

I assume I have a "lost driver." Anyone have any ideas? I can't get any
memory sticks to work in the machine.

Thanks for any assistence.