Old July 1st 07, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default Vista loses drivers

queen,

For some reason unknown to me, Vista gives a certain number (no clue as to
how many) of people a lot of trouble in recognizing USB devices. At the same
time, most people (don't have a clue as to how many) likely don't have a
problem with this. I'm running five USB devices (scanner, flash drive, USB
floppy, Zip drive, and printer), and Vista recognized all of them with no
issues. I suspect my experience is likely the norm, but I can see from my
vantage point here that there is a problem in this area.

I suspect the problem is exasperated by the fact that there is such a wide
array of different motherboards and chipsets, along with related USB devices,
with a never ending variation in the quality control applied in assuring that
all this multitude of hardware complies with the various USB standards that
have been in use since its inception.

Now, can you imagine all that variation in hardware coming together and
connecting to Vista? It's just got to cause problems, and it does! That's
my take on the issue, and to what extent Vista has the bugs, rather than the
hardware, is anyone's guess. I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around.
But it's really hard to tell.

Anyway, sorry to bend your ear, but thanks for the kind words. In regards
to your external USB hard drive, don't give up. Peruse this and other forums
and I'm sure you'll manage to connect it eventually. I recall one poster who
had a similar issue but managed to get it running by connecting it to a
powered USB hub. You never know. Other people couldn't get Vista to
recognize an external USB hub. Go figure.
--
freddy

"queen" wrote:

hello freddy:

thanx for the input. i did exactly as you stated here. unfortunately, even
after deleting the file and rebooting, my problem still exists. i knew that
that may have been the case when you said it may, or may not work; but i
wanted to try anyway. for some reason, vista simply does not want me to use
my external USB hard drive. i'm ready to start kicking some a-- and taking
OS names later!

also, i just wanted to say that i think you are simply the best at answering
questions here. i never see you try to put people down or act as if you know
everything. you do a good job. your help is much appreciated.

now, if some of these dumb ass MVPs took a hint from you, they'd realize
that they didn't know everything, and they would stop arguing with people
over peanuts! some of those damn microsoft MVPs (most valuable poodles) kill
me!

"freddy" wrote:

queen,

Even the Administrator sometimes has to give himself permission to do
something in Vista. You do this by right clicking the file and selecting
Properties and then clicking on the Security tab. Under that tab, you can
give permissions. Vista works this way when you don't own the file. You own
the file when you created it. If Windows created it, then you don't own it,
but you can gain access because you're the Administrator. This procedure
makes Vista more secure.
--
freddy

"queen" wrote:

Freddy:

i am the administrator and i am logged in as the administrator. when i try
to delete this file, it tells me i do not have permission. any ideas?

"freddy" wrote:

harmonp,

Some folks have had good luck resolving issues like you have by deleting the
INFCACHE.1 file, which can get corrupted with bad data and cause issues. The
file is located at C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file
and right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to
give yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in security
you know. Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the
security tab. Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes
it does and sometimes not.
--
freddy

"harmonp" wrote:

Why is it that Vista can't hang on to drivers that have been successfully
installed. I have an HP laser printer and an HP All-in-One. Both have Vista
drivers which have been installed and both work correctly...for a while.
Periodically, Vista says it needs to look for new drivers, then it can't find
the drivers, and I'm tied up for hours trying to get Vista to recognize one
printer or the other. Sometimes Vista (Ultimate) loses track of the USB
printer drivers and sometimes it is the Scanner driver. I had to buy all new
printers/scanner to work with Vista, and yet I have to spend hours keeping
them connected properly in Vista.