Parental Controls

Old March 7th 07, 07:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Byron

Default Parental Controls

I have the reverse problem to fanny. I have a 15 year old son who I trust and
want to have administrator access so he can load software etc etc. However I
want to restrict him from the worst of the internet. I could do this with XP
and Norton Internet Security.
Vista & OneCare however won't let me do it. I make him a standard user just
to control internet, and every 5 minutes he's asking me for an administrator
password to fix something he can't do. If I give him administrator password
and he can unblock internet controls.
Is the only way I can deal with this to throw away OneCare and buy a third
party internet control software with separate log in/password and make him an
administrator??

Old March 7th 07, 12:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Malke

Byron wrote:
I have the reverse problem to fanny. I have a 15 year old son who I trust and
want to have administrator access so he can load software etc etc. However I
want to restrict him from the worst of the internet. I could do this with XP
and Norton Internet Security.
Vista & OneCare however won't let me do it. I make him a standard user just
to control internet, and every 5 minutes he's asking me for an administrator
password to fix something he can't do. If I give him administrator password
and he can unblock internet controls.
Is the only way I can deal with this to throw away OneCare and buy a third
party internet control software with separate log in/password and make him an
administrator??

Next time please make a new post instead of inserting your question into
a very old thread.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. ;-) Make your son a standard
user (and both of you should be running as Standard users anyway). You
can pick and choose which part of the Parental Controls you want to
enable. You have to decide how much control you want to apply to your
son's computing life and if you want a lot of control, you have to be
there to "fix something he can't do". Sorry.

OneCare has nothing to do with Parental Controls. OneCare is an
all-in-one product covering antivirus, antispyware, antiphishing, a
firewall, performance tuneups, backup & restore (information taken from
its website).

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

I don't recommend it in any case. The antivirus has a very low catch
rate and the "performance tuneups" are just plain dangerous (like all
registry cleaners).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old April 2nd 07, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Alun Harford

Byron wrote:
I have the reverse problem to fanny. I have a 15 year old son who I trust and
want to have administrator access so he can load software etc etc. However I
want to restrict him from the worst of the internet. I could do this with XP
and Norton Internet Security.
Vista & OneCare however won't let me do it. I make him a standard user just
to control internet, and every 5 minutes he's asking me for an administrator
password to fix something he can't do. If I give him administrator password
and he can unblock internet controls.
Is the only way I can deal with this to throw away OneCare and buy a third
party internet control software with separate log in/password and make him an
administrator??

If he's an administrator, he can simply disable third party software, do
'bad' things and then re-enable it. You can buy packages that have a
'password' but they can always be bypassed - usually trivially.

It looks like Microsoft decided that no security is better than the
illusion of security. (A fundamental change in their philosophy, but one
that I agree with).

Alun Harford
Old April 3rd 07, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jim Hubbard

"Alun Harford" wrote in message
Byron wrote:
[...]

One of the best packages can be found at kidswatch.org. Perfect? Probably