Sony Video Camera will not run on vista, help please?

Old February 9th 10, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
diane in seattle

Default Sony Video Camera will not run on vista, help please?

many apologies if this question has been well-answered in this thread. I
couldn't find an answer that made sense to me while trying to wade through
all the words.

Again, apologies.

I have a DCR-TRV27 Sony Handycam which I bought used. The guy didn't give me
any cables or software or guides. I've managed to download a guide & then
looked for the right software to download images to my computer.

I was ready to buy a piece of software but was unsure which cable to buy, so
I phoned Sony. The tech there said Windows Movie Maker would be fine to use
for this offloading purpose. She told me which cable to buy--the "IEEE 1394
connection or a USB 2.0 connection," as is noted in Windows Help.

So I got the cable she & Microsoft recommended & have been trying since
yesterday to download images. I get an error messages telling me my USB
device is not recognized. So of course, the drive with the camera on it is
not recognized. I can't install/connect it manually because there's no option
I can find. I look under "imaging devices" & then "Sony," but get no love
whatsoever.

So, I have the camera & the cable & the Windows MM, but am stuck, even after
going through a few scenarios in Vista Home Premium's help & support stuff.

I have connected it, then turned my computer off & back on, & other lowtech
things I've seen suggested here. I do not to my knowledge have Firewire
capability. I say this based on looking at the fitting, which is different
than any fitting I have on my HP Pavilion laptop. I'm stumped.

Can anyone help me?

Old February 10th 10, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Leroy[_11_]

With the DCR-TRV27 Sony Handycam connected to your computer and powered
on, visit Windows Update and click on Check for Updates for a possible
driver. If none is available, I'm afraid you are out of luck since the
last driver Sony has for that device is only compatible with the older
Windows XP operating system.

Old February 27th 10, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
stormtrooperia

Hello Evveryone,

I am a computer tech and photographer, and I spent many hours on the phone
with microsoft and sony about this same issue. They keep blaming each other
for the problem. Good luck at getting it to work unless you have a 4 pin fire
wire 1394. I have a sony dcr-trv280 cam corder with usb streaming. Thanks to
both sony and miscrosoft not communicating there is no fix except the fire
wire and I still dont have video streaming(something I need when I storm
chase grrrr). And also welcome again windows 7 home premium that wont even
recognize the usb hookup. Way to go Microsoft and Sony !! and they say
windows 7 was my idea? they sure as hell didnt ask me what I wanted LOL

"Janomac101" wrote:

Hi all, hope someone out there can help me.
I own a Sony Video Camera.
Type DCR-TRV265E Easy HandyCam Digital 8.
It has USB Streaming and digital in and out.
It also has ilink facilities.

On purchasing a Dell Dimension Computer last week I have found that I have a
problem connecting it to download my films.
This computer now runs Vista Premium.
The ‘Picture Package’ Ver 1 software seems to load and I can see my film
when I am running the ‘adjust and confirm USB stream’; but when it comes to
downloading the film the whole thing shuts down. It says something about
destination file lost.
I have found that when I try to run it through the Microsoft moviemaker it
can not detect the camera, (a problem I never had with my previous computer
running Microsoft XP). I should say that I’m using a USB cable.
The weird thing is that the hardware devices folder in the control panel
does detect the camera and says it is working properly.
I have spoke to Dell support but too little avail. They say I should try the
iLink cable, but I never needed it before with my previous and much older
computer.
Can you help?
Is there a download or patch for this problem?
Is there another way round it?
I should add that although my camera can use a firewire or iLink cable this
new computer doesn’t have a port, although maybe I could get on fitted at a
later date.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Ian Caira.

Old February 27th 10, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
stormtrooperia

Hi Diane,

I am a computer tech and photographer, and I spent many hours on the phone
with microsoft and sony about this same issue. They keep blaming each other
for the problem. Good luck at getting it to work with vista unless you have
a 4 pin fire wire 1394. If you have read through all of the fixes, ideas
andwork arounds you have probably determined this. I have a sony dcr-trv280
cam corder with usb streaming. Thanks to both sony and miscrosoft "not
communicating" there is no fix except the fire wire in vista and above.
Anoying as it is I still dont have video streaming(something I need when I
storm chase grrrr) but was able to transfer via firewire. And also welcome
again windows 7 home premium that wont even
recognize the usb hookup. I for one dont have the money to just turn around
and buy a new cam corder with these same features. Way to go Microsoft and
Sony !! for pushing out products faster then the consumer can keep up!! and