Sony Video Camera will not run on vista, help please?

Old March 9th 07, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Janomac101

Default Sony Video Camera will not run on vista, help please?

Hi all, hope someone out there can help me.
I own a Sony Video Camera.
Type DCR-TRV265E Easy HandyCam Digital 8.
It has USB Streaming and digital in and out.
It also has ilink facilities.

On purchasing a Dell Dimension Computer last week I have found that I have a
problem connecting it to download my films.
This computer now runs Vista Premium.
The ‘Picture Package’ Ver 1 software seems to load and I can see my film
when I am running the ‘adjust and confirm USB stream’; but when it comes to
downloading the film the whole thing shuts down. It says something about
destination file lost.
I have found that when I try to run it through the Microsoft moviemaker it
can not detect the camera, (a problem I never had with my previous computer
running Microsoft XP). I should say that I’m using a USB cable.
The weird thing is that the hardware devices folder in the control panel
does detect the camera and says it is working properly.
I have spoke to Dell support but too little avail. They say I should try the
iLink cable, but I never needed it before with my previous and much older
computer.
Can you help?
Is there a download or patch for this problem?
Is there another way round it?
I should add that although my camera can use a firewire or iLink cable this
new computer doesn’t have a port, although maybe I could get on fitted at a
later date.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Ian Caira.

Old March 9th 07, 12:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Brad Gaffney

Try this:
Shutdown your pc.
Connect your video camera, and turn it on.
Then start up your computer with the camera already on.

This worked for me and my JVC camera.

Old March 9th 07, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dana Cline - MVP

Um, have you talked to Sony? This isn't the first Sony product I've heard of
that doesn't work on Vista...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

Old March 9th 07, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
HDFatBoy2003

Yep, Microsoft changed something in the native drivers for Vista. My FX1
use to work flawlessly under all of the betas and RCs of Vista but in the
final release it's a no go.

The camera is recognized but only Windows Movie Maker can capture the video.
I use firewire as my connection. The camcorder use to be recognized as two
different devices but on RTM it now only is recornized as one device. The
drivers are different than under XP. So my major two apps for capturing
video don't see it any longer. I boot into XP to capture and then back to
Vista to edit. Hoping to find a resolution to the problem but so far Sony
and MS are not of much help.

Old March 9th 07, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dana Cline - MVP

Yes, the driver model changed for Vista, but then again Sony has had over a
year to get their drivers fixed, and it sounds like they didn't bother.
Well, at least you can use MM to import the firewire video...I would think
that would be easier than booting back to XP...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

Old March 10th 07, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
HDFatBoy2003

Dana,

When it comes to a firewire connections Sony (and many other manufacturers)
haven't had to write a driver since XP SP2. When their products worked with
the native drives through all of the Vista betas and RCs why on earth would
you expect Sony (or anyone else) to write the drivers when MS has been
supplying them?

Apparently, you aren't much of a videographer. There is a huge difference
in the quality of the captured footage between the dvr-ms (Windows Movie
Maker) format and the native mt2 file created by a Hi-Def camcorder.

This is not something you can blame on the hardware manufacturer. MS pulled
the support sometime between RC2 and RTM. It's not that there were any
problems with the drivers, they were the same ones used on XP SP2 and XP
x64. There was absolutely no reason to pull the support except (in hopes)
of driving more users to Windows Movie Maker.

Old March 9th 07, 04:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Janomac101

Thanks for your message.
The way this is going I think I may have to fork out more money and get and
iLink socket fitted to this 'brand' new computer. All a bit depressing really.
Why don't the manufactures keep one eye on what impact changing things has
on the end user?
Again, thanks for your help.