Vista Banter

-   Music, Pictures and Video with Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/music-pictures-video-vista/)
-   -   Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files (http://www.vistabanter.com/30027-vista-media-player-11-duplicate-files.html)

JoelRub March 10th 07 12:04 AM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

I am running Vista Home Premium. When I set up my Media Player Library it
created duplicate and a few triplicates of each song. When playing an album
it plays all the sounds including the duplicates. Has anyone seen this and
have any ideas on a solution. I know I could delete them but that would take
a very long with so many songs.

Thank,

Joel

Dale March 10th 07 01:52 PM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

It is likely that you have multiple copies of your files on your hard drive
or that those files are accessible through multiple reparse points in your
file system.

The best solution is to open WMP in the Songs view. Right-click on any
column header and select Choose Columns. Add the File Path column to the
view. Click on the File Path column header to sort by file path. Now you
can see which entries are the desired set and which are duplicates.

Select all of the duplicates by using your favorite multi-select method and
right-click and delete them. Do NOT tell WMP to delete them from your
computer as well. If the files are duplicated by a reparse point, you could
end up deleting both the duplicate library pointer to the file and the
original file as well!

If you think their are undesired duplicates on your computer, use Windows
Explorer to delete them but if you're unsure, test by making a copy of a
couple files to a safe location first and delete those couple of files and
test in WMP.

Dale

JoelRub March 10th 07 10:35 PM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

Dale,

You were right on the money. I had a back up on two other drives and it
pulled the songs from all the drives. That's why I had the duplicates. I will
not be able to fix it.

Thanks,

Joel

Dale March 10th 07 11:04 PM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

It can be fixed. Just follow the directions I gave. If you only delete the
tracks from the library but not from your disk, then you will only have one
copy in the library. If you add the File Path column and sort by it, you
will see what I mean, I think.

Dale

JoelRub March 11th 07 06:07 AM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

Dale,

I just wanted to let you know there is another way. First you must find the
database file of the Media Library and delete it. This is located under
User/xxx(the user name)/local/Microsoft/Media Player. Then open media player
and go to File/Tools/Options and select the library tab. Click on advance and
set the folder it monitors for music files. I did this and now have no more
duplicates. You can add or remove folders in this area that you want to
monitor.

Joel

Dale March 11th 07 08:40 PM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

That's true, it will work, but it is a destructive method to accomplish the
task. Any customizations in the database and any historical information
about when played, number of times played, when added to the library, etc.
will be thrown out. Sort of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Dale

JoelRub March 11th 07 09:20 PM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

Dale,

Your right. This is a new system and I did not care about any
customizatiions, since I did not have any.

Joel

rlk August 15th 07 07:46 PM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

HELP DALE or someone i did everything that is talked about on the problem but
the music files are still in media11 player but the dont work wont delete
whats so wierd is i cant find any music files other than the saples that came
with vista ultimate i cant reinstall or delete the player cant even
reinstall vista nor fix the os and unlike xphome the os didnt do a system
restore point so now im screwed only had this os for 5 days hell update dont
even work niether

olsona September 20th 07 06:36 PM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

I did the same thing because I was unable to get my monitor folders to retain
added folders. I took a lunch break and when I came back the monitored
folders were back folders and I could have Windows Media Player find all my
music, including the samples. Side Note: I'm not sure if this was part of the
reason it started working for me, but I did try going into Tools Options...
Library and tried to Configure Sharing...

JoelDub November 21st 07 06:22 AM

Vista Media Player 11 Duplicate files

Dale, you rock! Your reply was right on the money! Here's a question; for
some reason, I have a 'music' file within my 'music' folder which is a
duplicate of every song I have on my hard drive. Could I just delete that
duplicate folder and call it good? Would that clean up WMP?

Joel (yes, my name is actually Joel)