Adsl modem driver

Old March 11th 07, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Veerle

Default Adsl modem driver

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my Windows Xp To Windows Vista, but first I
need to a Vista compatible driver for my ADSL modem, because otherwise
I won't be able to connect to the internet any more.

My modem is from ASUS, model nr AAM6000UG/D. I filled in a contact
form on the ASUS website asking if they have a Vista modem, but answer
was negative. They don't mention if they are working on one, or are
going to. I'll try filling in a form again, asking just that.

But, my parents have an Thomsom (previous Alcatel) SpeedTouch USB
modem which they don't use any more. I could use their modem, if I can
find Vista drivers for it. But I can't find them either. They only
thing I do find is a dutch page (http://www.speedtouch.nl/
vista_info.html) mentioning that a driver for Vista will be available
soon. But I don't know what soon meens for them: within a month?
within 6 months? within a year?

Anyone using one of these modems and looking for (are maybe found)
Vista drivers as well?

Veerle

Old March 11th 07, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lilo Lentz

My provider sent me this ADSL modem and it worked without having to install
anything
http://www.billion.com/product/adsl/bipac5102sm.php

ups.com...

Old March 11th 07, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

If a DSL modem is connected through a pci lan adapter you don't need any
drivers for the modem. You "may" need drivers for the lan adapter though.

If the DSL modem is connected via a USB connection you will need drivers
from the manufacturer.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

Old March 11th 07, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Me

You don't need drivers for an ADSL modem/router. Depending on who you
connect through, you may need a username and perhaps a password, don't use
USB to connect its for printers Ect

Old March 11th 07, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
af Gultarp

Veerle!
I have not used such ADSL modem connected to USB. However, I think we should
put up a warning finger to believe that we will get drivers of all old
hardware for Vista. It might work, it might not, using drivers for XP.

If you now must upgrade your PC, which I did not, I bought a new one for
Vista, you may better consider buying a new ADSL. An ADSL you connect to the
LAN card/inlet on your PC. Or even better, buy an ADSL/Router combination,
then you have the start for a small LAN. I also understand that such router
prevents hackers to enter yor PC, as they can only see the router when they
"ping". Firewall.

I used this one:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...115&CatId=1217
I can see the price has gone down from 120 € to 60-70€.

But maybe you do not have a LAN connection on the PC, well then you must add
one for 10-12€.

The advantage with this solution is that the adaption program is not loaded
on the PC, but on the ADSL/Router. You communicate with the ADSL/Router via
the Internet browser. It is easy to handle.
BR

Old March 12th 07, 07:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Veerle

First of all: thanks to all of you for answering.

To make things clear: both modems that I spoke of are USB modems, so I
do need a driver. I already ordered and received my Vista upgrade dvd,
so I will install it (dual boot) and try the XP drivers first. If they
don't work, I will have to activate my Vista through phone. If the
Vista drivers for the Speedtouch modem come along (they are anounced
to be on the way) then I can use these.

But I don't feel like buying a new modem/router right now, because we
have plans for a new home to be build and should be able to move there
within a year and a half. Then, I want to switch from broadband ADSL
to broadband cable (telenet it is in belgium) and then I only need my
LAN card (which I have). It is probably a good idea to buy a router at
that time for the security reasons that you mention.

I used this one:http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...tails.asp?EdpN...

Old March 19th 07, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cetin

Default zdf

dfsdfs

http://www.eggheadcafe.com