Unable to save files on memory stick - keep getting Error 0x800700

Old March 11th 07, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bootsja

Default Unable to save files on memory stick - keep getting Error 0x800700

I am using a brand new Sony Microvault 1GB memory stick USB with windows
vista. I am unable to save any file on it either using save, Save as or just
dragging it over, except .jpg. So word Escel etc. I cannot save. I get Error
0x80070052

Is there a simple solution I can't see?

Thanks
Old March 15th 07, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mick

I have not tried USB memory stick in Vista yet. But, in XP, I used to select
what I wanted to save, right-click on it, go down the menu to "send to", then
select the drive letter of your memory stick on the sub menu, and left-click
on that.
Mick

Old March 28th 07, 12:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Freon

Bootsja;2654237 Wrote:
I am using a brand new Sony Microvault 1GB memory stick USB with
windows
vista. I am unable to save any file on it either using save, Save as or
just
dragging it over, except .jpg. So word Escel etc. I cannot save. I get
Error
0x80070052

Is there a simple solution I can't see?

Thanks

I have the SAME problem. I am using Patriot SD memory cards and had no
problems with two of the four cards. Two of them say "The file directory
or file cannot be created" Error 0x80070052. I had the card half full
of pics when the message pops up. I placed a call to tech. support but
would love to know why this is happening.

--
Freon
Freon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23939

http://forums.techarena.in

Old March 28th 07, 05:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Freon

Bootsja, here is how i fixed my issue. Formated my memory card.(Right
click on drive and click on format option). Created new folders. (Right
click on desktop,click on new. Create folder). Name folder whatever you
want. I named mine Folder 1, Folder 2, ETC. Drag your songs,pictures
into a folder. Don't put too much in there. Then drag folder to your
memory stick. Keep doing this. I put 13 folders onto my card(Drive I)
and filled the card up with no problems. Hope this works for you. If
not, I will give you a link that gives other suggestions.

Old March 29th 07, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bonnie.

Default Unable to save files on memory stick - keep getting Error 0x80

I am having the same problem trying to save pictures to a USB flash stick. I
have tried reformating the card, but I get the same error that occurs when I
transfer files. I have tried copying by copy-paste method, as well as
right-click-send to 'J' drive method.

I understand your suggestion of making multiple folders, the only problem
the reason I am transfering photos to the flash card is to I can use it with
a digital picture frame. The digital picture frame does not recognize
folders so pictures cannot be placed in them.

Any other suggestions?

Old March 29th 07, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Freon

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Si...pict50607.html
SanDisk Copy Error -The directory or file cannot be created. Sorry,
don't know much about the digital picture frame but check this link
out and you may get a few ideas. I did a google search of "the
directory or file cannot be created". Quite a few posts. Good Luck.

Old April 30th 07, 07:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Callesto28

You need to put all your files in a sub-folder before you transfer them
to the USB stick. I kept getting the error when I tried to transfer
images from a folder in my desktop. Apparently, the folder of your data
needs to be a sub-folder of the original folder. (A folder in a folder,
the sub-folder is the one with the data in it.)
So, in other words, open the folder with the files you want transfered
and make a 'New' folder in it. Then copy all your stuff into the new
(sub) folder. After that go into Windows Explorer and Move the original
folder to your USB stick.
I don't know *why* you need to do this, probably some kind of computer
glitch-thing-pain-in-the-butt.
I hoped that helped someone!

--
Callesto28
Callesto28's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25188

Old May 2nd 07, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
nimmos

I tried what Callesto28 said and it works. Thank you!

My digital picture frame objected when I inseerted the card. It asked
"File or Photos?" I manipulated the highlight to Photos and it somehow
find the subfolder and is now happily showing the pictures. Different
digital picture frames will undoubtedly have different methods of
operation -- you'll just have to play with it....

--
nimmos
nimmos's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25264

Old May 8th 07, 05:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
EenyBear

I was previously unable to get past 1.5GB on a 2.0GB memory stick
(cruzer sandisk) using VISTA o/s. I was trying to load a gazillion
pictures on the stick for use with a video picture frame.

Then, on a whim, I tried reformatting the stick in NTFS rather than the
FAT it came with. Bingo! Problem solved and the 2GB are now fully
accessible!

No need for multiple sub-directories, etc. Hope that's helpful.

title = 0x80070052 error solution
author = EenyBear

--
EenyBear
EenyBear's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25407

Old May 9th 07, 04:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Scissor

If your memory stick is formatted using FAT (Sometimes also called
FAT16) there are several limitations you might want to know about:

- Partition (drive letter) is limited to 2 GB in total size.
- Root directory is limited to 512 entries (an entry is a file or a
directory), although subfolders can contain more than 512 entries.
- Max number of files on the entire drive is 65,517.FAT32 removes most of the above limitations, so if you can you might
want to re-format your memory stick using FAT32. However you will want
to first verify that your camera / picture frame can read memory sticks
formatted with FAT32 (most modern devices made should be able to).

Of course you can also format your memory stick using NTFS, but that
will most likely restrict your memory stick to only working with Windows
NT or later.

Wikipedia has a ton of technical info for the curious: 'File Allocation
Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table)

--
Scissor