file defragmentation

Old March 12th 07, 06:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Guest

Default file defragmentation

Is it possible to run the Contig / PageDefrag tools in Vista?

Are they needed? Or does Vista defragment the files / pagefile in
background?

Old March 12th 07, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Dustin Harper

Defrag has a new look, but it runs by default every Wednesday at 1:00am.
You can also run it manually by going to Start Orb | All Programs |
Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragment

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

--
wrote in message
Is it possible to run the Contig / PageDefrag tools in Vista?

Are they needed? Or does Vista defragment the files / pagefile in
background?

Old March 12th 07, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
OKuma

The defrag tool in Vista is made by Diskeeper.
Basically, this defrag tool has been embedded in to the OS since Win95.
The built in tool, to my knowledge, does not defrag the pagefile or the MFT.
You would need to get a full version of a Defrag Software.

Just a note:
I believe Microsoft was made to remove the build-in Diskeeper from all
the Windows OSes that were to be used by German Government.

Diskeeper has version 2007, but you have to download a patch to get it to
work with Vista.
Also, the price depends on the version of Vista you are running. It can get
expensive.

I recently converted to PerfectDisk 8.0 by Raxco. They are the only defrag
software that is certified to run on Vista.

It's a lot faster and does a much better job than DiskKeeper.

But anyway, to defrag the Pagefile and or the MFT, you will need a Third
Party Defrag Tool.

As long as the pagefile is not managed by the system, you shouldn't get much
fragmentation, but the MFT on the other hand, gets heavily fragmented.

Personally, I would get PerfectDisk 8.0, it's doesn't cost a whole lot, it's
$8 for a year of maintained, and it's the only defrager the is Certified to
Run on Vista.

Just my .02¢

Regards,

OKuma

wrote in message
Is it possible to run the Contig / PageDefrag tools in Vista?

Are they needed? Or does Vista defragment the files / pagefile in
background?

Old March 18th 07, 11:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Duncan McC

In article ,
says...
[...]

Good info.

Have you tried the SysInternals defrag util - it defrags stuff that MS's
defrag doesn't. And it's free.

MS liked them so much, they bought em!

http://www.sysinternals.com

Chit! - just went there and it redirects to MS. And guess what, the
defrag tool isn't there!

Seems to be the only one missing - thanks Microsoft.

--
Duncan
Old March 18th 07, 11:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Duncan McC

In article ,
says...
[...]

OK - I'm wrong

Here tis:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...agedefrag.mspx

Don't know if it works on Vista.

--
Duncan
Old March 18th 07, 11:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Guest

In Win 95 Norton supplied the defrag. In Win2000 and later NT systems
diskkeeper did provide the defragger. Vista's does do the MFT although XP's
didn't.
"Duncan McC" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,